Interactive World?

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: Interactive World?

Postby getter77 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:30 am

Heh, sounds close enough for a start. Once things get rolling along full steam, it'll be much less trouble to add and do new things down the line.

Freezing water would still be interesting though...even as a counter as it would be nifty to see somebody freeze a water elemental into solid ice and then have a cohort shatter it with a hammer or some such. Plus, the drowning.
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:47 pm

Yes. Well, for the time being I've got my hands full with just the brazier thing. By the way according to D&D rules the water elemental is not particularly vulnerable to cold damage, but the fire elemental is. Would a water elemental freeze under the effect of cone of cold or ice storm? Not according to the spell descriptions.
Drowning won't make it into this game but for another game there could be some underwater levels. Graphically it could be as simple as adding a blue or green transparent layer on top of everything plus some floating bubble sprites. Then each character could remain underwater for a number of rounds depending on constitution, after which they would start drowning. There's a problem though because outside combat, it's real time and I'm not measuring rounds.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby getter77 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Oh yeah, of course! Consider this all notes for down the line as things shape up----new content and twists months after the fact help things stay lively afterall. 8-) Specifics like drowning could easily be wrangled down the line...way down the line. I could see drowning something of an instant kill on foes of substantially greater than human size since, well, you can see what'd happen----would be a notion for the crafty to take down the overwhelmingly robust in melee.

Hmm...interesting on the D&D rule notion, though since this isn't striving to the letter of the law, so to speak, perhaps "something" of this notion could be taken to heart. For instance, perhaps a temp "mod" relative to what is happening? Like, an enemy wizard summons a Water Elemental. Your party doesn't happen to have any resistant gear to Water...so things are looking dicey. Taking a chance on your Fighter, you cast a freezing spell of some sort at the water summon. While it does no direct damage, it does slow the movement rate to something more logical. Furthermore, as it temporarily has a more physical form, it then does physical/blunt damage instead of Water, as well as making it easier to hit for one's fighter. Nothing to say it couldn't still beat the Fighter to death if enough went wrong, thaw out, then waylay the rest of the party, BUT, it'd be something nifty. Or something more tangential like if you can destroy an enemy Fire summon with a strong Water spell it will erupt into a cloud of steam which might damage and/or hinder the sight and such of the enemy party that was trying to wade into battle with it in tow.
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Previous

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG