You need a Cleric with scribe scroll?

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby Waterd103 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:53 pm

I did today my First run of the game, and played in ironman mod. My party got killed by the wizards in the orc fortress.
I had to do a lot of fights exahusting my wand of healing, and my scrolls, at this point I didnt found any cleric that sells scrolls or wands (wich beg the question what should i do if a char dies). There are no campfires I found at this point in the orc place nor I can go back as far as i know.

So the game is designed so you MUST have a cleric with scrolls and wands in order to win it?
Or campires are distributed in a way that reaching CAmpfire A to B is possible? or is there a cleric im missing that has stock of healing scrolls and wands?
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: You need a Cleric with scribe scroll?

Postby Void1984 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:34 pm

I think scribing scrolls is an essential ability for Clerics, next to crafting wands of healing.
During my first approach to the game (unifinished) I haven't been aware of that and areas without direct access to campfire had been to difficult for me.
Void1984
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Waterd103 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:32 am

To be honest, I even did run with a Cleric by chance, or because there is a small number of options, in general I hate clerics in games. But they are not essential, despite they are usually desirable or the best class even in D&D games.
In general if the game is hard and resting is not a super easy thing (Sadly in most popular RPG resting is easy which i hate), you can compensate your lack of clerici buying huge amounts of heal potions.
But in this game not only are no heal potions but Wands and scrolls of healing are impossible to use for non cleric chars.

The game tough seems to be designed around the idea that your party not only has a CLERIC, but with scribe scrolls, otherwise it seems impossible to complete the game.
I like to run ironman modes in RPG, and generally in deaths and thus the end of the game , I feel I did a mistake that I coudl avoid. In this case It feels bad because if Clerics with scribe scrolls are SO needed, the design of the levels are completly based on the idea that your party needs a cleric with scribe scroll, more warning should be there in order.

Or it seems the only other way to complete the game without a cleric is just to abuse the wandering monsters that respawn and are useless and grind for hours to outlevel the dungerons badly.

Wich begs the question of why are there world map encounters in first place? As default you can run from them ALWAYS mich means you can travel just for the sake of grinding and only fighting if there is no chance of death, grinding and thus making the whole game dull. For that same reason I went to settings and deactiviate world map encounters. But I wondeer why the default option is on in first place. Whats the design idea of having random fights with something to win (some money and exp) and close to 0 chance of losing.
My first impression was the idea is for them to appear so going back and forth killing and resting has the risk that if your party is injured, they may lose against that random encounter. But by default you can run of it 100% of the chance. Not to say that in most cases the random encounter do not appear against a debilitated party, but against a full armed party they have no chance to win, and after the fight, did the party lose any spells or life, they generally can just travel back to the campfire to heal. (And its not a problem to travel back since time has Zero effect in the game)
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Void1984 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:33 am

In KotC Clerics lack my favorite divine spell Flame Strike.
I agree that it has been designed with an idea that the party will have at least one Cleric and he will be able to scribe scrolls at least or even better craft a wand. That's nothing wrong with the idea, it is just good to know that before starting the adventure.

You can turn off 100% chance to run away from random encounters.
I find them boring and to low level. They are probably in the game because other games have them.
Void1984
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Waterd103 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:36 am

. That's nothing wrong with the idea, it is just good to know that before starting the adventure.

Yes, I have nothing Against making any class or feat a MUST HAVE, I just would like to be warned beforehand.
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG