How (if its possible) to defeat Dragon

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby deathknight1728 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:55 am

Yeah Im in the orc fortress and theres been a cruel joke played on me. You can't go back. And theres a dragon that is unkillable. You are allowed dragon slaying arrows, but heres the funny part. They don't work even when they do hit because his saves are so unparalleled. Melee is out too as you can't hit him. Im lvl 8 and this is almost unfair.
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: How (if its possible) to defeat Dragon

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:20 pm

If you're already lvl8 it shouldn't be too difficult.

A few possibilities:

1) patience. Just reload until he fails his save.

2) Start the fight with surprise (listening at the door and bursting in), that gives you a bit more time to prepare. Open up with buffs. Greater Protection from Acid (!) , Mass Pro Evil, haste, bless. Since you're level 8 your cleric should have Divine Power already. Have your Mage spam Magic Missiles and Fireballs. Scribe Scrolls before the fight so that you have more spells to cast.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby deathknight1728 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:55 am

I don't think its possible. My 2 melee guys have a 60% chance to hit the dragon in melee with their +2 weapons not to mention my 2 priests. He has 6 attacks per round, an aoe acid attack and 160 health. My character that wields a bow to hit with the arrow, has a 20% chance to hit the dragon. Talk about tedious. What makes this even worse is that I can't leave and come back later. Talk about a bad design decision. Im done with this game.

This has been the 2nd turn based d and d game that has let me down (toee being 1). I don't think these games have good rulesets. The reason why is that there are too many friggin rules. I can't shoot the enemy with a bow when he is next to an ally without having a feat. You have to practically read a manual when it comes to getting to figure out the rules in these games. 6 attacks and he can still move after?!

This is yet another reason why d and d party based games are not viable. All non d and d party games not only have better stories but are much easier to figure out and without a manual no less.
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:26 pm

What makes this even worse is that I can't leave and come back later
The game automatically makes a save just before you get locked in the fort so you can leave if you want to, you just have to go back to that save.

I can't shoot the enemy with a bow when he is next to an ally without having a feat.
You can always do that, even though there's a penalty. Another tactic you could use would be to give the bow to a wizard and have him cast True Strike before shooting.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Waterd103 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:54 am

I rerunned this game so much and i think i lost vs dragon maybe once (dont remember if i lost it was after i put like 20 penalties on myself)
if you tell me your lineup i can give you different strats that will work even if you are level 7.
But I'm not in mood of typing lots of tactics if you never gonna read them again.

My point is you claiming a fight that is not even one of the hardest fights in the game is too hard and blame the game, it seems to not be optimal to me.
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:34 am

deathknight1728 wrote:I don't think its possible. My 2 melee guys have a 60% chance to hit the dragon in melee with their +2 weapons not to mention my 2 priests. He has 6 attacks per round, an aoe acid attack and 160 health. My character that wields a bow to hit with the arrow, has a 20% chance to hit the dragon. Talk about tedious. What makes this even worse is that I can't leave and come back later. Talk about a bad design decision. Im done with this game.

This has been the 2nd turn based d and d game that has let me down (toee being 1). I don't think these games have good rulesets. The reason why is that there are too many friggin rules. I can't shoot the enemy with a bow when he is next to an ally without having a feat. You have to practically read a manual when it comes to getting to figure out the rules in these games. 6 attacks and he can still move after?!

This is yet another reason why d and d party based games are not viable. All non d and d party games not only have better stories but are much easier to figure out and without a manual no less.

trollololo

Not sure if trolling or just plain stupid.

However, I'm nevertheless offering some advice (in vain most likely, but anyway):

1) Do not make a party without at least 1 Wizard.
2) Give your Cleric(s) the feat "Scribe Scrolls" asap. Scribing Scrolls (healing spells for instance) can be done anywhere and that lets you heal up whenever you need to, since it only costs a trivial amount of XP and gold to scribe scrolls.
3) Take the crafting feats and spread them over your party (Craft wondrous items, craft wands, craft magical armors and weapons etc)
4) alternatively, play the Elder Scrolls instead
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby banner » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Recall the Spider Fight in the initial cave?

It must have taken me 40+ attempts to win that fight.

However, I beat the dragon on the first attempt.

I didn't realize that it was a "tough" fight.

I used stone skin and protection from acid, and simply beat him to death with my two knights.

I don't recall casting a spell on him.

However, I may not recall details, as the fight didn't make much impression. I just killed him.

I was more puzzled by the people in a stupor.
banner
Lizardman (CR 1)

Addendum to post I just made

Postby banner » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Addendum to the post I just made:

Some details:

I am pretty sure I cast Haste.

Both of my knights have a STR of 22.

Rolled 18, +2 for race, +2 for stat increase at levels 4 and 8.

They also had masterwork weapons.

They also had double weapon focus (so, +2 to hit).

Haste gives a +1 bonus to hit.

Hit bonus:

+ 8 (level)
+ 6 (STR bonus)
+ 2 (greater weapon focus)
+ 1 (masterwork)
+ 1 (hasted)
= +18.

I positioned one knight in front of him, and the other behind him.

That's a flanking bonus (+2, I think, maybe +4), so one knight had +20 or +22.

I may have also cast Prayer or Bless, which is an additional +1.

Of course, with Haste, each knight had an additional attack each round.

I don't know what the dragon's AC is, but I don't remember having much trouble hitting.
banner
Lizardman (CR 1)

Postby Waterd103 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Yes the spider fight, unless you grind a little on the orc stockade or random fights if you have that on, is probably the hardest fight in the game. If you approach this fight by level 4. It's really hard. The green dragon is not even top 10
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby deathknight1728 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:18 pm

The idea for the party was stupid. 4 clerics is a stupid idea for a party and I should have made a fighter and a wizard along with 2 clerics for backup.

The next party Im gonna do is

1 Priest backing as fighter/healer

2 fighter damage dealer

3 Priest-secondary caster/blaster and healer

4-Wizard-Primary spellslinger and blaster.

The problem with the previous party was that the builds were too imbalanced.

Im surprised someone said that they were able to flank the beast. I would have thought cause its a dragon thats impossible. Im sorry if Ive offended previously, I was just frustrated that I couldnt leave the lair after I was getting whooped.
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Next

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG