unarmed knight questions

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: unarmed knight questions

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:02 pm

I didn't mean the exotic becomes martial with 2h part that KOTC doesn't have, as you said.
Oh I see. Sorry :-)

might as well use a feat to get Bastard Sword as a useable weapon, then depending on the situation, you can use it to mimic a greatsword(in that you use it with two hands
Yeah I see. So you can take all of the weapon feats associated with Bastard Sword and have more flexibility. Otherwise, if you want to fight with a longsword + shield sometimes and with a greatsword some other times, then you need a lot more feats.

or use it with one hand(or dualwield it with huge penalties)
-3 on the left hand and -3 on the right hand, if you have the feat Improved Two Weapon Fighting.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Advert

Postby Doctor Sbaitso » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks for your input guys. I am doing pretty well with swords now. Great Cleave + Haste is pretty fun!

Interesting points on the Bastard Sword. I have to say though that I haven't really seen any in game.
Doctor Sbaitso
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Doctor Sbaitso » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:09 am

He folks, came back to report that I finished the campaign today, with just over 28 hours of playtime. Had a great time, the combat was right up my alley. In the end my melee knight ended up being easily the weakest character. I didn't use grapple much in the endgame as wading into hoards of high level enemies was certain death for my knight without the cleric around, so I feel that the unarmed approach cost me in the end.

My longbow knight was quite powerful but in the end the wizards rule the day.
Doctor Sbaitso
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Tiavals » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Remember to try the final bonus battle at the Knight Keep. ;)
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Doctor Sbaitso » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:25 pm

I tried it once. My wizard and cleric both got taken out before I had initiative. That looks like a very nasty crowd of baddies.

The vrock is not happy. Funny as that was the one time I didn't grant mercy.
Doctor Sbaitso
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Gavinfoxx » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:56 am

Actually, with the SRD, there are better options than the Monk for unarmed fighting. Barbarian, for one, especially with Whirling Frenzy and Wolf Totem. Or Psychic Warrior with the various claws. Or Druid with Wild Shape. Or Wizard with Polymorph or even Alter Self (Troglodyte!). Or anyone strength based with power attack and with a spiked gauntlet. TL;DR: Monks suck in the SRD and it's no surprise WotC made like three Monk 2.0 classes (Tashalatora Psychic Warrior, Unarmed Swordsage, Barbarian with unarmed fighting ACFs).

There's also possibly 'Improved Natural Attack: Unarmed Strike' as an option...
Gavinfoxx
Manticore (CR 5)

Previous

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG