Wild west RPG

Feel free to post about any of the above topics.

Wild west RPG

Postby Marinx » Wed May 26, 2010 9:58 am

I was wondering if there is some rpg based on wild west setting. I tried google but nothing.
I can't believe that no one has never made game like that.
I would really like to play an indian :(

@Blue Salamander. Maybe your next project would be something like that :idea: ;)
Marinx
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice

Wild west RPG

Advert

Re: Wild west RPG

Postby Dorateen » Wed May 26, 2010 8:50 pm

I would play that if I could take our traditional fantasy RPG characters... a dwarf, elf, halfling and some humans.

It would be kind of like that old Star Trek episode when the Enterprise crew goes back to the wild west.

It would be a neat setting to play in.
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby MonkeyLancer » Thu May 27, 2010 3:47 pm

A Dwarf in a stetson? Elven Chief Talks with Trees? Might be neat.

It could be a module someone could make for KOTC2?
MonkeyLancer
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri May 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Some of the Conan stuff was about Indians/picts attacking forts and settlements. But there was no mention of guns.

Only recently I've been playing a bit of Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire on Dosbox. It has no cowboys but you get to talk to lots of different tribes and some tribe members can join your party.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby MonkeyLancer » Sat May 29, 2010 2:13 am

BlueSalamander wrote:Some of the Conan stuff was about Indians/picts attacking forts and settlements. But there was no mention of guns.

Really? Were they armed with tomahawks and painted with woad?
MonkeyLancer
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon May 31, 2010 11:48 am

Yeah. Not sure about tomahawks, and the Conan stories never refer to characters as Indian or Egyptian or whatever.

See in this page http://conan.wikia.com/wiki/Picts, they explain that Robert Howard's Picts are a blend of the historical Picts and American Indians, particularly the Algonquins. Both the books and comics also mention savage black warriors rather frequently and one Conan story takes place in an Inca-like city. And in the Kull stories (Robert Howard too), many of the characters are tattooed Picts including a shaman in the royal court.

Apart from Worlds of Ultima The Savage Empire, here is a couple of other games worth mentioning:

Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive. In the game, the player controls up to six characters in a wild west setting. You must capture a train-robber called "El Diablo".

Nethergate, a RPG from Spiderweb Software. You can play as either the Romans or the Celts.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Marinx » Mon May 31, 2010 8:46 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive. In the game, the player controls up to six characters in a wild west setting. You must capture a train-robber called "El Diablo".

Nethergate, a RPG from Spiderweb Software. You can play as either the Romans or the Celts.

Desperados is not rpg. It's like "commandos: behind enemy lines" but in wild west.
I've already played long time ago but was not in my liking.
Same for Nethergate though i liked the romans and celts setting.
What I meant is pureblood rpg (single player not MMO) in wild west setting.
Marinx
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Tiavals » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Well, there is Gold Rush!, but frankly, it's not an rpg and not in the wild west as such. I suppose I mentioned it because it's the closest thing I know of, which speaks badly for the likelyhood of such a game existing(though there is Oregon Trail too, but it's perhaps even less of an RPG. And I guess Lost Dutchman Mine). To my knowledge, as of yet, there is no Wild West CRPG. At all. Which is rather strange, considering that it's a rather splendid location for one.

The CRPG closest in time and tech would be Arcanum, but it's based on the Victorian age England, rather than America. As for theme, Fallout is pretty close(Wasteland too, but it's very unplayable to me at least), but it's in the post-apocalyptic future.

But there are plenty of shooters in the Wild West. Though they usually have nothing to do with RPGs. Still, you might want to try Call of Juarez, it's quite splendid.
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Darthcast » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:27 am

I'd like to play a wild west RPG, too...

BTW, I just read about an RPG with an wild west theme today. It turned out to be a browser game, though. :lol: I doubt you like browser games... anyway, the url is http://www.the-west.net/
Darthcast
Umber Hulk (CR 14)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby Marinx » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:16 am

Tiavals wrote:Well, there is Gold Rush!, but frankly, it's not an rpg and not in the wild west as such. I suppose I mentioned it because it's the closest thing I know of, which speaks badly for the likelyhood of such a game existing(though there is Oregon Trail too, but it's perhaps even less of an RPG. And I guess Lost Dutchman Mine). To my knowledge, as of yet, there is no Wild West CRPG. At all. Which is rather strange, considering that it's a rather splendid location for one.

The CRPG closest in time and tech would be Arcanum, but it's based on the Victorian age England, rather than America. As for theme, Fallout is pretty close(Wasteland too, but it's very unplayable to me at least), but it's in the post-apocalyptic future.

But there are plenty of shooters in the Wild West. Though they usually have nothing to do with RPGs. Still, you might want to try Call of Juarez, it's quite splendid.

I played all of that + Outlaws, old wild west fps from 1997.
Sorry i'm a tough customer :mrgreen:

EDIT

I found Swedish site http://www.rollspel.com/engelsk/western/ewestern.htm. I don't have much time now to see if there is something useful.
Also this is a home page http://www.rollspel.com/index.htm but is on Swedish.
Marinx
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice

Return to About cRPGs, RPGs and fantasy books and films