KotC 2 Update

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

KotC 2 Update

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:46 pm

I've done some initial work for the next game and here are some of my goals - I'd like to switch:

* from procedural programming to object oriented (OO is much more suitable for a large project, I now realise this)

* from a Windows-specific development library (DirectX) to a cross-platform library (probably SFML) that works on Linux, Mac and Windows. It has been said that 50% of indie RPG sales are Mac versions.

* from a low resolution window to high resolution (preferably a 1024x768 window) - this means starting from scratch on graphic assets. Something approaching the graphic quality of Temple of Elemental Evil for dungeon tiles would be ideal. The game would still use 2D tiles and sprites and the same kind of Ultima-VII perspective. Initially I was more in favour of keeping the low resolution. But it's probably worth trying to get graphics closer to TOEE or Eschalon in order to widen the audience.

* together with the graphic change, it will be good to change from MIDI music to CD-quality music in ogg format.

* from a focus on a single large adventure to a module editor that could be used to create small modules intended for player characters of a certain level. After finishing a module, the same player characters could be transferred into another module where they can continue adventuring and levelling up. Just like the classic D&D modules. Some features will go away, like listening at the door, as it makes level design slower without bringing much benefit.

So yeah, it goes without saying that all this will take time! But wouldn't it be great to have an editor like the one of Neverwinter Nights, with top-down 2D and turn-based combat?
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

KotC 2 Update

Advert

Re: Update

Postby MonkeyLancer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:28 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:So yeah, it goes without saying that all this will take time! But wouldn't it be great to have an editor like the one of Neverwinter Nights, with top-down 2D and turn-based combat?

That'll be KotC 3 right? :mrgreen:

That all sounds awesomely ambitious! But Object orienting went clear over my head..
MonkeyLancer
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Trippo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:02 pm

New poster here; I bought the game about two weeks ago and I absolutely love it.

BlueSalamander wrote:I've done some initial work for the next game and here are some of my goals - I'd like to switch [...] from a Windows-specific development library (DirectX) to a cross-platform library (probably SFML) that works on Linux, Mac and Windows.

Yes please! I’m a Linux user, and recently I only have to reboot just to play some KotC!

from a low resolution window to high resolution (preferably a 1024x768 window) - this means starting from scratch on graphic assets. Something approaching the graphic quality of Temple of Elemental Evil for dungeon tiles would be ideal. The game would still use 2D tiles and sprites and the same kind of Ultima-VII perspective. Initially I was more in favour of keeping the low resolution. But it's probably worth trying to get graphics closer to TOEE or Eschalon in order to widen the audience.

I prefer the low-resolution graphics; but if you really think that this will bring more sales (meaning more sequels from my point of view :)) then I’m all for it, especially since you’re maintaining the same perspective (which I’m a strong supporter of). But please, keep in mind netbook users such as me, who have modest hardware and 600 pixels of vertical resolution! One of the main reasons that I bought KotC is that it runs perfectly on my netbook.

together with the graphic change, it will be good to change from MIDI music to CD-quality music in ogg format.

Why not.

So yeah, it goes without saying that all this will take time! But wouldn't it be great to have an editor like the one of Neverwinter Nights, with top-down 2D and turn-based combat?

Meaning a moddable game? I’d totally like that.
Trippo
Kobold (CR 1/4)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby getter77 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:51 am

Sounds great!
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby math0ne » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:54 pm

Can't wait!
math0ne
Griffon (CR 4)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:05 pm

sounds great, but I'm sceptical. ToEE lvl grafixx? Well those haven't been surpassed to this very day... you don't plan on entering the realm of varporware devs like so many indie devs before?
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby dastein » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:24 pm

Excellent news. I'd welcome a 1024x768 resolution, the tiles wouldn't even have to match TOEE's quality. Same goes for music, I found the MIDI tunes in KotC quite charming (but won't object to higher quality, of course).

So, when is it gonna be out? :mrgreen:
dastein
Manticore (CR 5)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:34 pm

MonkeyLancer wrote:Object orienting went clear over my head..
It's just a programming design that makes adding things or changing things easier.

VentilatorOfDoom wrote:ToEE lvl grafixx? Well those haven't been surpassed to this very day...
Well I said that this would be ideal, not that the game would have them. It would still be tiles, not painted backdrops, so there would be a lot of repetition in wall textures. But with bigger textures I can't see why the artists shouldn't aim for something that approaches TOEE's style, like Dungeons of Yore did. Also, the characters won't use 3d models.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby MonkeyLancer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:59 pm

MonkeyLancer wrote:
BlueSalamander wrote:So yeah, it goes without saying that all this will take time! But wouldn't it be great to have an editor like the one of Neverwinter Nights, with top-down 2D and turn-based combat?

That'll be KotC 3 right? :mrgreen:

D'oh! I'm bloody dim! I only just realized you were referring to your KoTC 2 plans.

I take it unlike Dungeons of Yore, it will be top-down not isometric? The repetition of tiles problem in Dungeons of Yore can easily be remedied by a liberal dose of variation in tiles.. heh it'll keep your artists busy. ;) On another note I enjoyed the music from KotC, will you be using the same person to create the new music albeit non midi-ed?
MonkeyLancer
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Marinx » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:28 am

:mrgreen: Excellent news :mrgreen:

EDIT:

Sory for Off topic but where can I take a look at Dungeons of Yore? Link on that forum doesn't work anymore. I tried to google it but found nothing.
Marinx
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice

Next

Return to Ideas for KotC 2