KotC 2 Update

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Re: KotC 2 Update

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:23 pm

Hello Novograd, sorry for not releasing more material or info. But, well, the game is not very different now from the earlier video I posted, it just has more spells and monster abilities implemented. It is spell implementation that's taking a long time now. I suppose that 12 more months will be enough for me to implement all the spells & psionics, and then it might get more interesting. I'll make a small update soon about the recent additions. Keep polishing the morning star please!
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Advert

Postby Novograd » Wed May 03, 2017 10:27 am

BlueSalamander wrote:Hello Novograd, sorry for not releasing more material or info. But, well, the game is not very different now from the earlier video I posted, it just has more spells and monster abilities implemented. It is spell implementation that's taking a long time now. I suppose that 12 more months will be enough for me to implement all the spells & psionics, and then it might get more interesting. I'll make a small update soon about the recent additions. Keep polishing the morning star please!

best wishes for your work! yeah I already saw that video, I believe that posting some more videos like that (even when you're simply testing the spells or whatever) would be great 8-)
Novograd
Griffon (CR 4)

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun May 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Thank you 8-)

Here's a new update about Druid spells, the Death Throes ability, Swallow Whole ability and a number of other things:

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=683

Best regards all and, as usual, feel free to post suggestions! Cheers!
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby maxthebest » Fri May 26, 2017 11:07 am

I hate to be pessimist. Kotc 2 will never arrive. It's 10 years since KOTC 1. And KOTC 2 hasn't even arrived.

1) Kotc 1 was a commercial success. Right? Then why no KOTC 2? was the developer afraid of succeS$?

2) 2017 is a lucky year, it contains the word 777 inside. 2 = 7, 0 = 0, 1 = 7, 7 = 7. Therefore word 777 forms.
Why not release game in 2017?

3) Why focus in providing 9999 custom spells and 9999 custom classes.
If the game ends up as duke nukem : ForNever then none of these unique mechanics will matter. Because the game will never launch. You forget you are a single indie developer, not an AAA company with infinite money that can afford this.

I say, focus on maps, story, unique encounters and bosses, and make the game fun. Ignore the additional complexity layers. Super mario in 1985 had 1 mechanic "jump". Yet look at how many players it had...

What i am saying is also wrong, i understand that you want to "get it right", however, i say, purge the needless features, create a "Roadmap" / "Milestone" list that doesn't SCREAM FEATURE CREEP. At this rate 2027 won't be enough time.
maxthebest
Kobold (CR 1/4)

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun May 28, 2017 1:40 pm

Hello maxthebest and welcome :-)

I get your point. But right now I'm implementing what I feel is an essential part of the game: the spells. I have already implemented the most complicated ones. So, implementing the rest does not take me as much time, and it's just plain fun for me, and it will make the final result so much more fun for players.

The concern about feature creep is very valid. For example, I probably shouldn't have touched psionics. On the other hand, I don't mind if the game needs a few more years to be completed properly. I do try to implement only things that I think are worthwhile, meaning that they will make the game better while not requiring too much effort. Sometimes I get this equation wrong. :D
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby snerney » Sun May 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Perhaps if only we could bridge the gap with some new maps, areas to explore and modified story line for the original KOTC it would enlighten the fans. Even just a couple of massive dungeon crawls with random monsters and gear would be quite cool. I done a lot of designing in NeverWinter Nights and loved producing stuff like that for players, though I don't recall there being a builder tool for the original game.

In the end, the designer controls the destiny and far too often things are released prior to being ready filled with bugs, broken story lines and multiple patches that arrive long after people have deleted it from their hard drives. I applaud Blue for his attention to his vision.
snerney
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Darthcast » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Has it really been 10 years since KotC 1?
I've checked this website at least once a year to see whether it's done already, that's how much I'm still impressed by the first one. :)
BTW, how about a Steam release of KotC 1 with added achievements for the anniversary? Would give me a great reason to play through it again!
Darthcast
Umber Hulk (CR 14)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:03 pm

KotC was released in 2009. So it's 8 years. You need to subtract the time spent on the RTS from this as well.
The development of this game will take quite a few years still.

AoD also took like 11 years or so.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby draylyn » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:41 am

Hi I love KOTC found it few weeks ago was really excited to see theres a kotc 2 project I have been part of Co8 re ToEE ive worked for sony west and SSi and interplay and spent 30 yrs in silly valley and redmond as a programmer im currently medically retired but have some time to devote to a project id love to help alpha test ior contribute to this in some fashion
draylyn
Kobold (CR 1/4)

Postby snerney » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:15 pm

ahh Drayln, SSI in the old days brings back memories.. If I could only get Guadalcanal and Carrier Force that was built for the Apple converted over to the PC I'd be loving life. The emulator doesn't really work right with saved games..
snerney
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas for KotC 2