A whole bunch of ideas for KotC 2

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Re: A whole bunch of ideas for KotC 2

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:31 pm

Yes, that's the system used in Wizardry 8 and the old Bard's Tale games. I don't think it's as good as the turn-based system found in D&D 3.5 and games like Helherron, Avernum and Fallout because you lose a lot of precision. How is a fireball targeted in AD&D 2nd edition? Do you simply assume that every enemy is affected and not your allies (as in Bard's Tale)? If your warrior wanted to push a goblin into a patch of lava but the goblin is killed before the warrior's action, would the action be lost?
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Advert

Postby Marinx » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:52 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:How is a fireball targeted in AD&D 2nd edition? Do you simply assume that every enemy is affected and not your allies (as in Bard's Tale)?

Spells like fireball would work just like in dnd 3.5.
Example, one of the player decides that he'll cast fireball and must declare where will be point of origin. Now if that player is first on initiative, he is the quickest and he cast fireball before anyone else manage to do anything (because they are slower, just like dnd 3.5)
If that player is in the middle or even last on initiative, he still cast the spell but now the positions of everybody are not the same. And so if allied player is in the area of effect of fireball, he'll be hit by it. Or if enemies get out of the area of effect, spell is cast but hits no one. So this is just like turn based in dnd 3.5 just the actions are declared before you know when your turn will be. Also if two or more have same score on initiative, they act simultaneously. According to this, it is possible for two guys to killed each other in the same turn.

If your warrior wanted to push a goblin into a patch of lava but the goblin is killed before the warrior's action, would the action be lost?

Yes the action will be lost. This is perfect example of chaotic nature of combat.

This type of turns is maybe little hard to implement in computer game, but as I remember it was really good when we used to play old AD&D.
Marinx
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby joelf847 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:14 am

I just finished playing - great game by the way. I'm looking forward to the sequel, and wanted to share some of my thoughts.

First, bags of holding would be a godsend - not having enough room to carry everything sucks.

Second, I wanted to second allowing pre-casting buff spells (especially ones that have durations of minutes or 10 minutes/ caster level.) If the gold box games from SSI let you do this, I'm sure there's a way to have KotC do it also.
joelf847
Kobold (CR 1/4)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:03 am

Thank you for your post joelf847! On bags of holding, I agree; another possibility being not to restrict the number of inventory slots. On pre-casting buff spells, if you check out the list at http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/P ... Wizard.htm you will see that a number of spells have duration 'until rest', meaning that you can cast them after resting and they will stick to your characters for the whole day.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby almondblight » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:40 am

More thoughts on the overland map:

One thing I really liked about Exile III was just how much stuff you could find just wandering around the map. Old crypts, stumbling across fighters that needed help, swampland that provided the right ingredients for alchemy, fire lizard lairs, etc. It definitely can make the world more interesting. One of the great things about it is scale - it seems strange to have a goblin cave 15 seconds away from a town on a regular map, but on the overland map it feels much further away. Another thing I like is the ability to handle things within the overland map - if you come across a house that is offering some reagents for sale, you don't have to physically enter it and talk to the person, it comes up as a small house on the map with a text description.

Not sure if you want to make KotC 2 so exploration driven, but overland maps can be great.
almondblight
Centaur (CR 3)

Previous

Return to Ideas for KotC 2