The Monk (Poll)

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

What do you think about the monk?

It's good as it is with Flurry of Blows and Medium BAB
47%
It should be reworked with Pounce and/or High BAB
53%

Total votes : 19

The Monk (Poll)

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Here's a quick poll about the monk.

Pounce: When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

The Monk (Poll)

Advert

Re: The Monk (Poll)

Postby Tiavals » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:35 am

My problem with the pounce version is that a monk might just never use his unarmed or light weapons with it. With a single feat, you can take the two-handed weapon group, which is better than the unarmed version in most cases. A normal greatsword is better than the monk's fist attack until level 16, and it's probably easy to find an enchanted greatsword by that time, in which case it's already better than the monk.

The pounce-monk is yet again another kind of fighter, albeit one that is good at grappling(which might be enough to make it a viable choice). With the flurry-version, a monk is more likely to use his unarmed attacks, or light weapons, and thus feels different from the other classes, making it a more meaningful addition to the game.
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby getter77 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:32 am

With this specific instance, I can't really get a feel on either enough to really say.

How about an Option #3 where there is an extra prompt at character creation to allow a player to choose either "style" of Monk to colour their progression? Such a thing in the framework outright would surely come in handy towards future modules and such that would aim for various specialized roles within a given Class.
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:29 am

Sorry getter77, no extra option for the monk. Thank you for the insight Tiavals. Do you think the monk is good enough, with medium BAB and my version of Stunning Fist and Ki Strike?
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Tiavals » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:20 am

I think the monk is fine at the end levels. But the problem is around the levels of 6-10. The monk is quite weak compared to the other classes at that time, since it's unlikely you have found any magical items that would help the monk specifically, and the monk is very dependant on magical items. Without bracers of AC or such, a monk's AC is far too low, and if there are no items to enhance his fist attacks, they don't really do much at all damage.

I think the Ki Strike and Stunning fist are good as it is. The Ki Strike is very powerful, since it works on all DR, and the Stunning fist activates often enough to be useful.

I think the Monk needs something more, but what, I'm not sure. Perhaps a bonus when charging? Like Tiger's Leap, +1d12 to damage when charging, which might increase every 5 levels. It wouldn't be as powerful as the Pounce, but would be along the same line of thought. But then, with the Monk's speed, you're usually better off to walk next to the opponent and grapple.
Tiavals
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:49 pm

How about 'Tiger's Leap' from level 4: you deal 1d6 additional points of damage when charging?
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Tiavals » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:13 pm

If it increases a bit as the levels go up, I think it'd be great. Maybe +2d6 at level 12 and +3d6 at level 20?
Tiavals
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:17 pm

Okay. Sounds good.

Edit: I've updated the monk's page to reflect that addition.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Grunker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:43 pm

The monk is a seriously gimped class in the SRD. Like, SERIOUSLY gimped. It's arguably worse than even the standard fighter compared to a Wizard. Anywho, I have some seriously extended experience playing D&D, as well as writing and editing fan supplements. So if you want me to I can go through all of the classes and comment on them in relation to some of the facts of 3.5 as it is?
Grunker
Fire Giant (CR 10)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:46 pm

The monk is a seriously gimped class in the SRD. Like, SERIOUSLY gimped.
Yeah, it's one of my least favourite classes in the SRD. Like the Rogue it has no spells and only a medium BAB.
if you want me to I can go through all of the classes and comment on them in relation to some of the facts of 3.5 as it is?
Sure, that would be appreciated.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Next

Return to Ideas for KotC 2