D&D version?

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

D&D version?

Postby Waterd103 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:06 pm

I know that KOTC is based on 3.5 OGL version. I wonder if you are able and open to add 4th version changes (or 5th, since it will be released before KOTC2 development). I can't think on grand scale how it would benefit it but there are probably some things that may be better in 4th edition. Two things I like is the death condition changed from -10 hp to -Half your max HP and critical strike now is only Max damage, just to name a few. Of course those are the most shallow changes. 4th edition change many things in a more deep way. I understand it may be a problem because it doesn't exist an open ended 4th version? But that's another issue, are you open to to do that shift or you are very happy with the current rules you used in KOTC?
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

D&D version?

Advert

Re: D&D version?

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:28 am

I am indeed very happy with the rules used in KotC. I don't have the books of the 4th edition and from what I've heard I'm not really interested. I'd like to see them in action in a video game, but there isn't any. The two things you mention, bigger death threshold and maximum critical damage, I don't see how they make the game better.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Waterd103 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:51 am

Well It depends on how you look at the game. Of course for some it's not an important thing. As you may know I like to play ironman runs and I find the high variance those two things offer to be distasteful. Critical damage doubled is too much and may end a run early on , even if you played very well. The same goes for Death threshold. Im happy that in KOTC at least unconscious character are removed from the battle and thus not prone to AOE Damage (and all the death checks and stabilized and such options removed). But I feel lategame the only -10HP threshold makes True resurrection, too much core of the experience. I don't like that much because true resurrection is a spell I don't like, as is extremely OP, but it seems in KOTC it's balanced around it. (at the point I don't think an ironman run without true resurrection is reasonable at all).

Another thing I like about 4th edition is that non-caster classes have been given more interesting combat options. Which I think is a plus. Maybe i don't like the healing surge mechanic though. But at least it makes the "I need a cleric" not so much of a must. Which I like because i hate clerics, ha.

Also It makes more classes balanced around a combat, which in CRPG is relevant since really that's what most of the challenge comes from. Yourself accepted that having a thief would be not of much sense in KOTC or CRPG in general, and I agree, so having them more combat oriented is a good thing.

Of course, you can just do the proper modifications or addons if you want, and being something of 3.75 version. But I don't know how much allowed you are to do that. And you make the problem that someone that already knows 3.5 edition to have to learn more stuff.

Also I think 4th edition focus more on the focus of AOE attacks, shapes, even on melee fighters. Which adds depth in a way that i think it's good. Im not pro"More complexity=good". In fact adding complexity is basically a bad thing. But sometimes it's a reasonable cost to add depth. In this case i think it's worth it. I think fighters don't have much options, and most of the decisions in combat that define the result of the battle are made by how you use your casters. This has been a common problem in 3.5. Of course it seems you had no problems on adding invented feats and what not. And the rules proposed for KOTC2 are getting away from 3.5.

So maybe it's ok to stay on 3.5 and we can talk about adding changes that you may agree or not , even if they are not 3.5 at all (like the two changes about critical strike and death threshold)
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:43 am

Yes, the new rules on crits and death can reduce the luck factor. However I think that even with the new rules, an ironman run may be stopped early if you're unlucky. There's no denying the random element in D&D.
Death threshold half of HP means at early levels you'd be even more likely to die. While at the high levels a threshold of 90 would make you nearly immune to death.
There's no simple answer concerning the reduced options of non-casters, but I'm happy with the class design now.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Return to Ideas for KotC 2