KotC 2 suggestion: No surprise round fights

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Postby some_name » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:35 am

Replaying KotC 1 now, and it's really reminding me of the one thing that annoyed the shit out of me in that game -- fights against large numbers of casters where they get surprise rounds. Having fights where 80% of the time you die before you even get to act isn't challenging; it's not a test of tactics; it's just a dumb way to force the player to waste a ton of time on reloads.

I'm not asking for KotC 2 to be "easier" than 1 per se, but, please, consider not having any of the bullshit "surprise round! AoE disable spells, save or die!" fights. Every single time a fight like the fight to leave the orc stockade, or the "drop" fight in the northern caves, or the final fight against the lich appears, it just slams the game to a halt for absolutely no good reason.
some_name
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: KotC 2 suggestion: No surprise round fights

Postby Waterd103 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:08 pm

I think there is almost no ¨unfair¨fights in KOTC that involve ¨surprise rounds¨ The only two ones that may seem like that are the Gnoll ambush outside the orc stockade and the Fight vs the lich in one of the 3 rooms after the big dragon.
Both can be easily beaten with 2 clerics though, but i agree without 2 clerics a lot of those fights may be too luck based. But other than that....
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Return to Ideas for KotC 2