Pre-KS Update

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Re: Pre-KS Update

Postby itsdat » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:29 pm

BlueSalamander wrote: I get notified whenever people post on the forum. But the forum stopped sending me notifications in the last couple of weeks, so I was just thinking that the forum is quiet.

I always get notifications immediately [gmail].

feanor89 wrote:
itsdat wrote:
VentilatorOfDoom wrote:RPG Codex Knights of the Chalice 2 Pre-Kickstarter Interview is up:
https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11115

Anyway, this answers my previous question: "Initially, I was thinking to launch the KS campaign after finishing work on the KotC 2 trailer and after finalising the KS page, reward tiers and stretch goals. However, there is good sense in trying to get KotC 1 on Steam and GOG first. So I'm planning to do that. Therefore, I need to spend some more time making a good video for KotC 1 and looking into Steam."

KotC 2. is a much improved version of the original game. Even the graphical presentation is totally different. Honestly, I don't get the logic behind this.

I honestly don't get this logic either. I will gladly buy a Steam version of KotC 1, but I don't think that presenting an older game on Steam and GOG before the KS is going to help it getting much hype, especially since you'll be required to spend your money on a old game first, when you already know that there is a new one ready to be played.
In my opinion one way of "launching" KotC 1 on Steam/GOG will be to add it as a reward for KS backers (maybe for the ones that pledge a little more than the standard pledge) and then to propose something like a KotC 2 "Gold" edition on Steam/GOG that features both games.
Anyway, thank you for the news and for considering my "finesse training" idea!

You know, this is an excellent idea. Example: You get the KotC 2. toolset and the first module @ backer tier $20. You get the KotC 2. toolset, the first module and KotC 1. @ backer tier $30. You get KotC 2. gold edition [toolset + more modules + KotC 1.] @ backer tier $50. Something like this could work like a charm. Well, IMO.

Pierre, I've got 2 modding related questions.

1. "While Augury of Chaos does not have a world map, I'm planning to have a world map or regional map in The Dark Arena and subsequent modules."

Well I knew about this, since you've mentioned it on the forum a while ago. My question is this: Can we add regional maps + the world map using the toolset [with the Kickstarter backer build]?

2. Is "token facing" supported? Even if it is not, I suppose it would be very easy to implement.

Example image: Image

^ It is not a token, but if token facing is supported, we can create/use 8 directional 2d images like this for the characters.
itsdat
Umber Hulk (CR 14)

Advert

Postby galneon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:56 pm

I think it's a great idea having KotC1 available on Steam soon. When supporting a kickstarter, it's wise to look into back catalog to make sure the developer has the skills and ability to deliver. It's easier to do this on Steam (and read reviews) than on the official KotC1 page. KotC1 has belonged on Steam for many years...
galneon
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:12 am

galneon wrote: Perhaps the KotC1 trailer is for a simultaneous KotC1 and KotC2 launch on Steam?
The two games will have different videos. Though I'd also like to create a separate video mixing sequences from both games. KotC 2 will be launched on Kickstarter before Steam.

feanor wrote: I don't think that presenting an older game on Steam and GOG before the KS is going to help it getting much hype, especially since you'll be required to spend your money on a old game first
No, you are not required to spend your money on the older game. The idea is that people who buy all their games on Steam / GOG will get to hear about both KotC 1 and KotC 2, as well as read reviews of KotC 1, thus helping the KS even if they don't buy KotC 1.

itsdat wrote: Can we add regional maps + the world map using the toolset [with the Kickstarter backer build]?
Yes, you can. I'd like to make a small video explaining how to do this.

Is "token facing" supported?
Nope. It wouldn't improve the game IMO.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby itsdat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:15 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:
itsdat wrote: Can we add regional maps + the world map using the toolset [with the Kickstarter backer build]?
Yes, you can. I'd like to make a small video explaining how to do this.

Nice! 8-)

BlueSalamander wrote:
itsdat wrote:Is "token facing" supported?
Nope. It wouldn't improve the game IMO.

Well, it wouldn't improve the gameplay, since it is a gfx related feature. It would be cool to have it later on [if it's not too hard to implement].

BlueSalamander wrote:The idea is that people who buy all their games on Steam / GOG will get to hear about both KotC 1 and KotC 2, as well as read reviews of KotC 1, thus helping the KS even if they don't buy KotC 1.

BlueSalamander wrote: KotC 2 will be launched on Kickstarter before Steam.

Sadly the KS has been delayed more times now. I am confused again. So the KotC 2. KS will start after you put KotC 1. on Steam? [I suppose the ~2 mins long KotC 2. trailer will be ready very soon.] Basically we're still weeks [hopefully not months...] away from the start of the KS campaign? :( I've got a "this is taking forever" feeling. [Especially because the work on the vanilla engine and the toolset has been completed months ago.]
itsdat
Umber Hulk (CR 14)

Postby feanor89 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:58 pm

KS Trailer is live!
Thank you Blue 8-)
feanor89
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:42 pm

Hello all, yes feanor89 (you're quick!), I've just uploaded the KotC 2 trailer onto Kickstarter and Youtube.

Watch the trailer on Youtube: https://youtu.be/P7D5mhcLQH0
Watch on the Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1848628223/947609585?ref=8amqiu&token=df2b2dd2

Apologies for the low video quality of the part where I talk. This being the first time I record myself, I don't have the hardware for good recording and I cannot spend any more time/money on this KS video.

itsdat wrote:I've got a "this is taking forever" feeling.
My apologies for the delays. :-(

However, if you take into account the fact that my attention is constantly being diverted due to my dad's succession, the fact that I've had to learn new video-editing software and the difficulty of making a good KS video, it's not too surprising that it's taking a long time. On the plus side, I've been able to create several videos (the Kickstarter trailer now uploaded + a longer trailer in 13-minute and six-minute versions) and I think that one of the hardest parts of creating a Kickstarter campaign is the main KS video. That part is done.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby calmforce » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:41 pm

Dear Pierre, I like the trailer, it is fun to watch (the graphics look much better in action than in static pictures) and even though I am not a fan of puzzles, I am looking forward to this game. I like your speech in the end. It was creative and unique.

I have been following your work since KotC 1 was announced and enjoyed that game immensely. I will back the KS and wish you success, you deserve it :-)
calmforce
Griffon (CR 4)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby itsdat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:47 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:Hello all, yes feanor89 (you're quick!), I've just uploaded the KotC 2 trailer onto Kickstarter and Youtube.

Awesome! 8-)

BlueSalamander wrote:
itsdat wrote:I've got a "this is taking forever" feeling.
My apologies for the delays. :-(

However, if you take into account the fact that my attention is constantly being diverted due to my dad's succession, the fact that I've had to learn new video-editing software and the difficulty of making a good KS video, it's not too surprising that it's taking a long time. On the plus side, I've been able to create several videos (the Kickstarter trailer now uploaded + a longer trailer in 13-minute and six-minute versions) and I think that one of the hardest parts of creating a Kickstarter campaign is the main KS video. That part is done.

Yeah, I hear you Pierre. I really like the gameplay footage. Now it will be even harder to wait for the start of the KS campaign. 8-) :)

calmforce wrote:Dear Pierre, I like the trailer, it is fun to watch (the graphics look much better in action than in static pictures) and even though I am not a fan of puzzles, I am looking forward to this game. I like your speech in the end. It was creative and unique.

I have been following your work since KotC 1 was announced and enjoyed that game immensely. I will back the KS and wish you success, you deserve it :-)

What is the problem with puzzles? I think it's a must have feature in a serious cRPG. :geek: [Examples: Wizardry VI & VII., Ultima Underworld etc.]
itsdat
Umber Hulk (CR 14)

Postby calmforce » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:24 pm

I never liked puzzles. Though maybe your game convinces me otherwise. I know they are part of the genre history, but my origin is in P&P roleplaying and there were not a lot of puzzles in the games that we played. So I guess it is just habituation.
calmforce
Griffon (CR 4)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby galneon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:14 am

Love the trailer. Many of the clips within demonstrate the flexibility and importance of ranged targeting, show a lot of active buffs at once, some really big encounters, etc. It makes it clear this is a serious old-school tactical RPG. And a lot of use from the Anglosphere find French accents endearing, so the bit at the end isn't going to hurt. :P

Looking at what's currently available, it sort of looks like a bigger budget, more complex Age of Fear, and that series has been modestly successful considering the production values. KotC2's engine and toolkit have the potential to inspire anywhere from a dozen to thousands of user modules. I'm not concerned about if the game is good or not--KotC1 is all the proof I need that you have the technical skills and design sensibilities necessary to make a great turn-based RPG, Pierre. At this point, I think the difference between a little and a lot of user-generated content (and thus continuing interest (and sales) over the years) is all up to how much exposure the game gets from now until release. I'd love to be downloading new modules 15 years from now. :)
galneon
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas for KotC 2