Pre-KS Update

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Re: Pre-KS Update

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:29 am

Hello all, here are the details of the new version 1.33 of Knights of the Chalice:

* Added a message recommending to play the demo/tutorial first when mousing over the 'Start New Game' button in the full-game version.
* Fixed many combat bugs (a number of those existed also in KotC 2, so I was able to correct these bugs in both KotC 1 and KotC 2).
* When targeting the spell Sound Burst, if you mouse over enemies with Stunning immunity, the game will now display a Stun chance of 0%.
* Added sound effects for Bull Rush, Grapple, Vampiric Ray and trading with NPCs.
* The number of each saved game is now displayed with three digits (up to saved game number 999).
* The Orc Stockade will now open up if your party finds the underground exit.

And here are the KotC 1 trailer links: short trailer / long trailer.

The next steps for me are the following:

* See what I need to do to get KotC 1 on Steam and GOG.
* Continue work on a bunch of videos I'd like to release during the Kickstarter.
* Continue work on the Kickstarter page (text, images, GIFs, reward tiers).

Thank you for the feedback, feanor89! Cheers all!
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Advert

Postby getter77 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:25 pm

Fine work---don't forget itch.io in the learning mix as well alongside Steam and GoG for KotC 1 and beyond as yet another DRM-free avenue that is independent creator friendly~
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby itsdat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:02 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:The next steps for me are the following:

* Continue work on a bunch of videos I'd like to release during the Kickstarter.

Uh oh...If I am correct it took 5-6 weeks to complete the trailer for the old game & the bugfixing..and now you are making more videos for KotC 2.? I am pretty sure that 90%+ of the KS projects only have 1 [trailer] video and screenshots [and of course the list of gameplay features + KS goals]. That is the standard. Somehow this [long awaited] KS just don't want to start for some weird reason. :? You have a complete game for almost a half year now Pierre. This is madness! :D
itsdat
Umber Hulk (CR 14)

Postby galneon » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:28 pm

itsdat wrote:
BlueSalamander wrote:The next steps for me are the following:

Uh oh...If I am correct it took 5-6 weeks to complete the trailer for the old game & the bugfixing..and now you are making more videos for KotC 2.? I am pretty sure that 90%+ of the KS projects only have 1 [trailer] video and screenshots [and of course the list of gameplay features + KS goals]. That is the standard. Somehow this [long awaited] KS just don't want to start for some weird reason. :? You have a complete game for almost a half year now Pierre. This is madness! :D

He only gets to roll out his game once. He's put years into it. The impatient few are less significant than the masses who have no idea the game is even on the way, and the more complete the roll-out, the more successful we can expect the game to be. That means more content. Let's just chill.
galneon
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby rpgguy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:36 pm

But he is not working on more content, the game is finished, he is just working on advertising the expansion and selling the first game...
rpgguy
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby galneon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:46 am

My reference to more content pertains to future modules. How long Pierre can continue to develop the game after release is largely dependent on its success, and the game will only be a "New Release" once.

I'm going to assume you guys are roleplaying characters from a world where marketing does not exist and everyone is blissfully naive as to how to successfully garner attention in a heavily-saturated online marketplace, and cosmic justice alone is enough to ensure products with merit succeed.

If you can't come to grips with such concerns, then leave them to Pierre and try to be patient in the interim.
galneon
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby itsdat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:45 pm

Whatever. I gave up arguing about this. It is Pierre's game, and he do whatever he wants. Perhaps the KS wont even start in 2019 at all, because if I understood correctly, Pierre is making class related videos now. It is pointless to argue about anything anymore. If he thinks that the KS will be more successful because of 20++ videos, well...what can we do?
itsdat
Umber Hulk (CR 14)

Postby feanor89 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:10 am

Just a few thoughts: as itsdat says, it's Pierre's game, not ours and so he can obviously choose to do with it whatever he wants. I also can see why he wants it to succede so much, given how much he put in it and for how long: the KS is a one-shot oppurtunity and he doesn't want to waste it. Having said that, In my strictly personal opinion I'd really hope he'll make the class related video very quickly (maybe just 2 videos, each covering 10 or so classes) and start the KS very soon. That's because I have the feeling that with his current media production pace he's both failing in hyping KoTC 2 with the masses much (Just think how much content there is already for Realms Beyond in contrast) and he's also making hard core fans as us feel a little cheated, because the game has been ready for ages and the KS never starts. In conclusion, if this was my game (it's not :D ), I'd really think if it's worth to continuously postpone a KS to got more hype or just roll wit it (pun inteded), release the game and hope that, knowing that it's a great game and with the support of the fan and modding community, it will grow by itslef (as Dwarf Fortress did for example).
Anyway, these were just my two cents, thank you for always listening to our feedbacks Pierre and keep it up!
feanor89
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby rpgguy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:37 pm

Well he sure fooled me with the "game is done" statement and the Kickstarter page... little did I know he is going to drag it for another year.... 22 videos is going to take forever. :(
rpgguy
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:39 am

Hi all,

22 videos is going to take forever.
Where did you get the idea that I'm going to do 22 videos? I said that I'm going to 'continue work on a bunch of videos I'd like to release during the Kickstarter'. In the last six or seven days, I've already finished making two videos, including the one about character classes. Those extra videos are nothing like game trailers in terms of complexity. They are quicker, easier and more fun to make.

You have a complete game for almost a half year now Pierre. This is madness!
That is irrelevant to me. I will launch the KS when I'm ready to do so, not because x months have passed since I finished coding for KotC 2, and not because anyone says that it's unreasonable for me to wait. Thank you for your patience.

He only gets to roll out his game once. He's put years into it. The impatient few are less significant than the masses who have no idea the game is even on the way, and the more complete the roll-out, the more successful we can expect the game to be. That means more content. Let's just chill.
Absolutely!

he's also making hard core fans as us feel a little cheated, because the game has been ready for ages and the KS never starts.
My apologies to all hard-core fans who feel a little cheated. However, there are a few things I want to highlight.

Firstly, this KS is not going to be launched before I've joined Steam - or before I've found out that I cannot join Steam, if that happens to be the case. The whole reason for me to make the KotC 1 trailer before the KS is launched, is so that I could have a proper launch on Steam. Therefore, the idea that I would launch my KS before I get onto Steam is absurd! Further, getting on Steam is a process that also takes time. I asked them some questions on the 23rd; I am still waiting for the answer. Once I finish the initial process (which I won't do before I get the reply to my questions), it seems that they also take 30 days to review everything before allowing you to launch a game.

Secondly, you are right to say that it's Pierre's game, but actually... it's not just Pierre's game. It's Pierre's life we're talking about here, not just his game. What is a Kickstarter, if not a person or team making a number of promises and commitments that then impact the person's life? Again, apologies if anyone feels cheated, it has never been my intention to cheat anyone. Please understand that launching a KS is not a trifle thing for the project developer. It should be done when the person is ready and not one minute earlier.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas for KotC 2