Difficulty way, WAY, to high

This is the place to provide bug reports and suggestions about KotC 2 Augury of Chaos.

Re: Difficulty way, WAY, to high

Postby jms123 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:27 pm

tdunaj wrote:Anyone managed to bear Pizarra in the Upper Sewers without the surprise round and with standard rules?

Here's what I did (this was before helper bonuses were added for the fight). Note if you don't have the right spells/scrolls available you can get them from the witches assuming you haven't already taken something from that spell level yet and/or haven't killed them yet. I believe in my victory I actually only used scrolls and items that I had found exploring even though I had planned to use some from the witches (but I'm not sure anymore). I wanted to try to do it without using level 8 or 9 scrolls from the witches, hoping I could reserve those for something later. I found a scroll of meteor storm somewhere in the dungeon before that fight that I hadn't used yet.

Don't remember all the details, but this is the gist of it.

1. Get initiative for my wizard. Use scroll of accelerated spell and power to get 2 more spells off. Cast AOE, e.g. fire/lightning ball (possibly empowered with improved empower to be a lvl 5 spell, don't recall) to kill the low HP enemy that stands near Pizarra. This was to create a lower total HD targeting area for Pizarra for my next spell which was a scroll of circle of death (cannot target it only on Pizarra due to range/terrain). Otherwise it would tend to fail due to too many HD. I think it had maybe a 25% chance of killing her? Reload until that works, then proceed. You need to kill her in round 1 to prevent the summon, which otherwise seemed too hard (though you might also be able to luck out on a circle of death or similar, like banish/chaos, possibly combined with Lower Spell and Power Resistance, on it, and just keep reloading until that works, but you have to wait a lot longer to find out so it slows down the process a lot).
2. I believe my sorcerer or warlock used a scroll of Chaos on the main enemy area, and at least one of my other characters used Acorns of Earthquake. I think I may have also used a scroll of meteor storm I found somewhere. It gets 4 separately aimed shots, so you can move it around based on who is still alive, their HP, etc. to get the most out of it. That either debilitates or eliminates most of them.
3. Unfortunately there is one black wizard who is placed in a little nook that is outside the AOE of the main area and of the overhang where Pizarra is standing, you would have to use a spell just to target that 1 wizard, and it is far away so very few spell can even reach it. So you may have to get a bit lucky in terms of what that wizard casts, and/or the turn order with that wizard moving into an area where you can kill or confuse it quickly before it decimates you with some AOE. Or just survive one blast and hopefully have enough HP.
4. I actually had a chance to complete the battle before the orcs showed up, only 2 enemies left, but my melees were too far and I got really unlucky with SR/Save rolls with some spells and didn't finish them off, so I had to deal with the orcs immediately with no save or rest.
5. For the orcs I spammed a lot of webs/clouds/summons to keep them away from me as much as possible, because I had a lot of chars with low HP at that point. I was able to kill some of them from a distance. As some of the higher HP ones got closer, I was concerned about possible deaths, so I used a scroll of mass heal that I wanted to save for later, that emboldened me to charge them with my melees and finish them off and ensured everybody lived.
jms123
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Advert

Postby tdunaj » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:28 am

Thank you for the advice, i just did it ;)

I am more of a defensive player - get setup, cast buffs, and then strategically proceed with the fight. So it did not occur to me to go all out like that. But in this fight you have to be ruthless - it cost me two earthquakes (acorn and scroll), and a greater lighting storm scroll. I did not stop Pizarra from summoning the devil, but my angelic allies held up surprisingly well even inevitables and helped to deal with him. I got a haste off and once my fighter got to Pizarra and tripped her, she was neutralized.

Interesting concern is what to do with future scrolls - add them to spell book when able or keep them around for emergencies like this?
tdunaj
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby jms123 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:11 am

I always like to save things but I had to give up some of that for some of these tougher fights. The good news is that there are a lot more scrolls to be found so it doesn't really become a problem.
jms123
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Atoch » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:17 pm

The spell 'Stinking Cloud' isn't obstructed by the high Spellresistance of Pizarra and her low Fortitude Saves makes her an easy victim. Even if the cloud is dispelled, Pizarra (and the spellcaster around her) remain nauseated for two rounds – enough time to recast it.
The enemy melee fighters are best countered by ‘Holy Smite’. The slow effect of ‘Holy Smite’ is ‘Will’ based and the angel can spam them as move action.
The devil got smited into oblivion in one round by the hasted Angel and her 'Smite' ability.

I didn’t try the fight without angelic reinforcement and the surprise round, but with these helpers, and a bit of luck and good timing, the fight was rather satisfying! :mrgreen:
Atoch
Umber Hulk (CR 14)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby LordSith » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:42 pm

The big Pizarra fight in the high sewer... not only does it have like 30 enemies, but 6 orcs join, then 3 vrock.

Worse? there are so much spell caster that if they have initiative, they can counterspell all of my mages... and the demon has 5 or 6 attacks per round, which kill in one round the angel in most case.... I hate the difficulty of this game. It's so insane.
I have tried it 78 times (to be honest, most are "arf i do not get a good initiative order, let's restart.. only 15-25 are real start) now and i'm sick of it and yet I'm only level 9 and haven't seen half of the potential and feats of the game.

please fix this.

Besides, I made an error in my character gladiator (gave him a feat for 2 different weapons in each hand, before noticing that I cannot buy the 2weapons better fighter because i have not 13 dex. AND THERE IS NO RESPEC in the game (except for last level... but i made that mistake at start). I think the game should give that information : "this feat would only be useful if you have 2 weapons feats, which require 13 dex." ... I already stated I don't know the D&D game and i'm not interested. i play this video game to let the computer handle the rules and just want to select things in the list, making little optional choices, like in pathfinder where the game gives you green and red thumbs for good and bad choices. You can choose as you want, but the game provides visual clues as if the choices are recommended or not.

Let us espec all levels not only the last one. It's boring to restart AGAIN the game just to beat ONE fight... pff.

You speak before about a "stinking cloud". I have not that spell. And there is no spell store to make for that mistake.

I really hate when this or that spell/option is required to pass a fight. If that's so, why not let the game play by itself making the character upgrade without me? and then, the game play without me too, because i'm not needed.

Edit: fix caps.

Playing KOTC steam version since march 2022.
LordSith
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)

Postby LordSith » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:58 pm

Well i finally beat that fight by using as an opener the spell "stinking cloud". in fact that spell is so powerful because it prevents a big number of enemies to act. For a level 3 opener, it's overpowered. I really wouldn't have understood it.

Web is powerful, because prevent movement, but the enemy can still damage you. Stinking cloud is a lot more powerful because the enemy can move, but nothing else...

IMO it's more a level 6 spell, but i understand why here and there, and on discord, stinking cloud is the answer mostly given when fight is hard.

Too bad there is only one thing like that because it feels like a mandatory thing, and i'm not too fan for it.

(but after: a rogue, or a bishop/cleric with "trickery"... that's so narrow :/ i hope i do not lose too much by not being able to make a copy of the book)

LordSith
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)

Postby tdunaj » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:15 am

Congrats on getting the kill. I don’t use Stinking Cloud my mage is an enchanter. Good luck moving forward there are some tough fights in the Upper Sewers :)
tdunaj
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby LordSith » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:32 pm

Stop the gate fight infinite reapparing mobs. It's not an hack& slash. I killed more than 20 golems, 10 vrocks, 5 gargoyles, 15 archers, 10 mages on those walls... and it never ends, and my team accumulates penalties whereas every ennemy is full HP, full spell.

Of course i'll lose : i have finite ressources. I can't summon adventurers each rounds as the enemy. Fix that.

LordSith
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)

Postby jms123 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:42 pm

LordSith wrote:Stop the gate fight infinite reapparing mobs. It's not an hack& slash. I killed more than 20 golems, 10 vrocks, 5 gargoyles, 15 archers, 10 mages on those walls... and it never ends, and my team accumulates penalties whereas every ennemy is full HP, full spell.

Of course i'll lose : i have finite ressources. I can't summon adventurers each rounds as the enemy. Fix that.

I don't remember that, I think if you break the walls they stop? Or maybe defeat the enemies on the ground waiting behind the wall? Taking out the wall is very quick with a few energy spells or powers, didn't take long at all. Every square on the wall takes damage and counts towards a single health count for the entire wall. So e.g. if the wall is 4 squares (don't remember) and you cast an AOE spell that averages 40 damage to each square, you take out 160 of its health. So it goes quickly.

Unless this is a new bug.
jms123
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby tdunaj » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:29 pm

I have been on the Spider Queen fight for two weeks now. If it does not crash, or party gets one shot by her level 9 spells, I still can’t hit her with anything and there is a third group coming after that.
tdunaj
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

PreviousNext

Return to About the KotC 2 Augury of Chaos cRPG