Some Suggestions for KotC 2

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Postby fnwc » Sat May 17, 2014 10:33 am

First of all, I'd like to say that this is an excellent game and I'm having a great time playing through it. I should point out I'm not finished with the game (I just completed the Fire Pits, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt).

I have a couple of suggestions:

• Looting items seems a little tedious, I think there needs to be a screen that shows all the items on one side, and the player inventories on the other, so you can drag and drop items in the surrounding area quickly and at a glance. It's a little bit much to hover over every pile, not to mention that the loot mouseover can be annoying when you're trying to move around.
  • Inventory management in general could be streamlined a little bit. Maybe give everyone a belt pouch to hold some consumables (wands, potions) and perhaps an alternate weapon and then have a shared generic "all loot" inventory area, that you can equip all characters from (these items are not accessible during combat). I would also suggest a separate inventory area of unlimited size (that is managed by the game only, not the player) that holds quest items, such as notes, keys, etc. I found myself playing the game holding onto letters, taking up valuable inventory space, because I wasn't sure if they were important or not later in the game. I think my biggest frustration with playing the game involves managing the items and inventories; it seems like there's an awful lot of clicking (and dragging) to get an item from the floor to a specific character's equip spot, especially when you start to get full on items.
  • I don't think that crafting should be allowed in the game, or it needs to be reduced to perhaps potions/scrolls. The cost of crafting in the early game makes a lot of the game trivially easy (wands of fireball) and it tends to invalidate the loot in the late game, since you can craft *most* of the best loot in the game, especially when it comes to weapons/armor. This makes finding loot later in the game rather boring since you've already crafted items that are much better than what you usually find. There are of course items that you can't craft, but for the most part, you can give everyone belts of strength, boots of striding, etc. without having to "pay the iron price", so to speak.
  • The AI is good, especially from the context of intelligent enemies. Howver, I think the AI needs different classes which depends on the consciousness/intelligence of the enemy. It seems a little strange that mindless golems, skeletons, or even low intelligence animals such as bears might know who your mage is, and attack them at all costs. I think that low INT or mindless monsters would be more realistic (from a fantasy perspective) if they simply attacked the enemy closest to them. The way it is now seems kind of jarring and even cheap at times.
  • I think multi-classing per the 3.5 SRD would be cool (e.g., one level of Druid, one level of Wizard).
  • A customizable hotbar would be nice (ala NWN).
  • Allow holding down the shift key while targeting spells with multiple targets (e.g., magic missile) will mark the same enemy for all targets (if applicable).

Once again, I think the game is awesome. I love D&D games like this (TOEE comes to mind), and I'm glad someone is spending time making them.

Thanks!
fnwc
Kobold (CR 1/4)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: Some Suggestions for KotC 2

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat May 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Thank you for your post, fnwc :)

Allow holding down the shift key while targeting spells with multiple targets (e.g., magic missile) will mark the same enemy for all targets (if applicable).
For using Scorching Ray or Magic Missile on one target only. Great idea!

I think multi-classing per the 3.5 SRD would be cool (e.g., one level of Druid, one level of Wizard).
That won't be in the game, sorry.

mindless golems, skeletons, or even low intelligence animals
Yeah I know, several people have asked that. I agree.

I don't think that crafting should be allowed in the game
Most crafting won't be in the game. Weapon and armour crafting might be there but then there will be a requirement to find rare gems so it won't be as easy.

Inventory management in general could be streamlined a little bit
Good points. First off, letters, messages and keys won't have a weight, so you should be able to carry as many as you need (and keep them in a pouch). Second, to pick up stuff, you will only need to left click (no dragging). Third, at the end of a battle there will be a screen with a list of the loot and you can choose what to pick up. Finally, there will be less loot available from enemies; only those things that are marked specifically as loot will be dropped. I don't much like the idea of a common inventory.

A customizable hotbar would be nice (ala NWN).
For spells, yeah, maybe. But there was none in ToEE and it wasn't a problem for me.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby JohnDW » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:11 pm

I just want to say that in general I love crafting, and I dislike how many D&D video games either skip crafting altogether or severely limit your options. One of the best things about KotC, for me, is the ability to craft items.

Maybe you shouldn't have an 'unlimited' supply of mithril or adamantium, so adding some kind of required resource, like obtaining the metal, in addition to xp/gold requirements would be alright with me. maybe reduce the gold cost because the cost in KotC seems to represent the price of the rare metal, if you find the rare metal then you don't need to buy it, but it still needs to be worked/etc.

As far as enchanting weapons/armor, requiring some resources in order to enchant them seems alright to me, same goes for wonderous items, and rings. I think supplies for making wands/scrolls/potions might be common enough to not limit production of these items other than by the xp/gold cost.

Also, are there plans to add potion making? That's one of the things that is missing in KotC that I would like to see in KotC2.
JohnDW
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:44 am

I just want to say that in general I love crafting
Yes, crafting is cool. I like weapon enchanting especially. But with crafting like in KotC, the game's rewards are cheapened, they're not so useful or interesting. On top of that, it throws the challenge level out of whack. So my plan is - weapon & armour crafting yes, but from a NPC and only after you've found rare gems in sufficient numbers or quality type. For all other items - wands, spell scrolls, rings, potions, wondrous items, basic weapons & armour, the plan is not to have any crafting. So if you want one of those things you have to find it from monsters or buy it from traders.

are there plans to add potion making?
There won't be potion making, but I'm thinking to allow some potion mixing. For example, we could mix a potion of cure moderate wounds with a potion of cure moderate wounds to create a potion of cure critical wounds. Or we could mix a potion of displacement with a potion of heroism to create a potion of haste. Or two potions of barkskin to create a potion of stoneskin.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby glennfrogknight » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:06 pm

Crafting in KotC was, IMO, great.

The first time I played through the game, I didn't do much crafting. Rewards DID matter, and finding items was exciting. I got very lucky and got a Spider Cloak (I forget the exact name) from one of the giant spiders, and it was awesome. It's a good memory, and a great gaming experience.

When I play it now, one of my favorite playstyles is to push my party to its limits, fighting Minotaurs at level 1, stuff like that. This results in very fast leveling and wealth acquisition, and crafting becomes very powerful. It's not very long before I'm killing dragons on the far right side of the map. I like this playstyle because it makes me feel "independent." The story to the game is important to be there, but I love that I can basically ignore it, play a very "load my game, fight some monsters, save, and go back to work" during lunch on my laptop or whatever. I don't need to do quests to get items, I don't need to try and remember if I hit whatever lever, what part of the quest I'm on after 2 weeks, etc, etc. I can load up, check my cash, my XP values, and items, and proceed.

I'm sad to hear that crafting is going to be gutted in KotC2 because the fact you can has let me continue playing KotC1 for as long as I have. From a longevity standpoint, it's strong for a lot of reasons, but that's one of them.
glennfrogknight
Centaur (CR 3)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Return to Ideas for KotC 2