Help?

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Help?

Postby Sheepyhead » Tue May 30, 2017 9:43 pm

Hey guys, really love the mechanics of the game, although I have one gripe with it: What the hell is up with the encounter design? Three water elementals, alright a bit silly considering they're immune to most spells and tactics, but then an actual army of overpowered orcs with the guard AI just provoking AoO constantly and dying to this? At least three of those creatures are higher level than the party, and the rest are still stronger than the suicidal guards you get to assist you. Is this a "you're actually supposed to flee" kinda fight? I'm feeling kinda silly dying to this crap constantly.
Sheepyhead
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)
Knights of the Chalice

Help?

Advert

Re: Help?

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:10 am

Hello Sheepyhead, sorry for the really late reply.

The elementals are an optional fight. For a level-1 party, it's difficult.

Concerning the orcs, there is a chance to lose, of course, but I do not consider it to be a very difficult battle. You just need to use spells like Bless and Sleep and have your characters flank the enemy. Also, buying a magic wand before going into the fight will help. Giving a Greatsword to your high-strength fighter helps.

You are not supposed to flee. There are some hard parts in the game but mostly it gets easier once your characters gain levels.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Sheepyhead » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:04 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:Hello Sheepyhead, sorry for the really late reply.

The elementals are an optional fight. For a level-1 party, it's difficult.

Concerning the orcs, there is a chance to lose, of course, but I do not consider it to be a very difficult battle. You just need to use spells like Bless and Sleep and have your characters flank the enemy. Also, buying a magic wand before going into the fight will help. Giving a Greatsword to your high-strength fighter helps.

You are not supposed to flee. There are some hard parts in the game but mostly it gets easier once your characters gain levels.

Thanks for the reply regardless! It strikes me as odd level design, and I only started taking on the orcs once I abused the massively cheap scrolls. As an avid TTRPG roleplayer myself I tend to not burn all my consumables (spells, scrolls, potions, wands) immediately, as who knows what's next, but like many other D&D-based CRPGs it seems that this game banks on the fact that you can just go to a bonfire and rest between every single combat. I guess that sets the tone for how I'm supposed to play.
Sheepyhead
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:52 am

On level design, I guess I wanted to avoid the somewhat boring start of many other CRPGs where there is no chance to lose in the beginning.

Also, I think it's better to play through the demo before playing the main game. It's a different adventure. There are much easier fights and it gives you a good training.

Yup, you can use the consumables readily. There's a lot of gold in the game and also you can craft your own stuff.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Sheepyhead » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:07 am

BlueSalamander wrote:On level design, I guess I wanted to avoid the somewhat boring start of many other CRPGs where there is no chance to lose in the beginning.

Also, I think it's better to play through the demo before playing the main game. It's a different adventure. There are much easier fights and it gives you a good training.

Yup, you can use the consumables readily. There's a lot of gold in the game and also you can craft your own stuff.

I did play the demo, I got jumped by like eight rogues of equal level and got pretty murdered pretty quick. I'm kinda missing some form of scouting mechanic, but without any playable classes suitable for scouting I guess I'm just gonna have to brute force the encounters.
Sheepyhead
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)
Knights of the Chalice

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG