Pre-KS Update

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Pre-KS Update

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Greetings, RPG lovers!

Here are the latest news about Knights of the Chalice 2. This should be the last update before Kickstarter! Post-KS, I will probably create two new forum sections, one dedicated to KotC 2: Augury of Chaos (bug reports, suggestions and tips) and one for KotC 2 Module Creators (help and ideas).

In the last few days, I created new web pages for the game. The new pages include the following: KotC 2 Screenshots, KotC 2 Features, KotC 2 F.A.Q., and KotC 2 About Us. Be sure to check them out!

I also created a Twitter profile and Facebook page and I updated my Youtube channel. Would be very cool to have more 'Likes' and 'Follows'!

In addition, I completed the Kickstarter new-project registration procedure. But I still need to create the KS video and fill up the KS page with information, graphics, reward slots and stretch goals.

I've added links to the Kickstarter page, Youtube channel, Twitter profile and Facebook page in the website's menus, as well as 'Recommend' and 'Share' buttons on the web pages for KotC 2 Features, KotC 2 Screenshots, KotC 1 Features and KotC 1 Screenshots.

I also created the Windows installer for KotC 2: Augury of Chaos. The file is around 700 MB.

Work on the game was completed around 27 January. It wasn't an easy task, especially as my dad passed away in December at the age of 75. :cry:

Apart from module testing and tweaking, encounter improvement and debugging, the things I focused on included the following:

* Temporary companions: A non-player character may join your party for a limited time. Such companions appear and act just like a party member, but the party-size limit does not apply to them. Also, you cannot un-equip their equipped items, or give them new items.

* Spell scroll highlighting: The Inventory Screen of each character now highlights whether a spell scroll may be learned by the character, or is already known by the character. This is done using small 'Known' and 'Learn' tags.

* Destructible objects in combat: Combat encounters can now include objects that must be destroyed by the player's party in order to complete the encounter. Objects can be non-magical, such as a gate or barrier of some kind, or they may be magical, such as an energy orb, a magic mirror, a mystical crystal, an enchanted statue or a monolith that heals the enemy every round or inflicts damage to the party each round until destroyed. Maybe the object serves as the phylactery of a Lich that cannot be hurt until the object is destroyed.

* Timed riddles: The party may be given a certain amount of real time, such as one minute, to answer correctly as many riddles as possible.

* Fighters joining a combat in progress: When new combat participants join an ongoing battle, they all roll for initiative and join the initiative list according to their initiative roll. Previously, new combatants were added at the top of the list, giving them an unfair advantage.

* When potions and consumable items are used, they are no longer subject to the concentration checks that apply to normal spells and spell-like abilities.

* In the Artificial Intelligence page of the Creature Editor, I added new buttons to turn on and turn off automatic spells for the reviewed creature easily. Automatic spells are spells like Mage Armour and Mirror Image, which have a full-day duration and may be cast out of combat. High-level casters have numerous automatic-spell options.

* In the editor, mousing over a creature and pushing G now opens the 'Monster Groups' screen and highlights the group of the moused-over creature, allowing the module creator to select all creatures in the considered group easily.

* In the editor, when several creatures are selected, Alt + click on a creature allows the module creator to equip all of the selected creatures in one go. The Inventory Screen is displayed and any items that you equip the creature with are also equipped in the Inventory Screen of the other selected creatures.

Of course, I have plenty of ideas for improving the game further. I have ideas for new items and new feats; I will talk about these during the Kickstarter. I also want to implement New Feat suggestions, meaning that a few recommended Feats will be highlighted whenever a character levels up.

I'm not forgetting Steam, of course, for both KotC 2 and KotC 1. But for now I need to focus on the Kickstarter page, create videos and do some interviews with video-game news websites (if possible).

I've already posted many new screenshots in the KotC 2 Screenshots page, so there's no need to add a lot of new screenshots here. Still, here are a few extra screenshots just for you! Please click on a picture to enlarge it.

I expect that I'll be writing an email to all the KotC customers and forum users about 48 hours before the Kickstarter, so that we can have a good start. That's a nice thing about selling directly on one's website: you can contact the customer base. If all my customers were on Steam, I would have more of them of course, but I wouldn't be able to contact them. Yesterday, I installed new mailing-list software to allow me to send emails to many recipients.

Thank you for reading! Feel free to post comments! Till next time! :)
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Pre-KS Update

Advert

Re: Pre-KS Update

Postby feanor89 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:53 pm

Great news, I'm so hyped!
Just a question: will it be possible to create new feats and enchantments with the Editor?
feanor89
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby Marinx » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:45 pm

This is great Blue!!! I wish you all the best with the KS campaign.
Marinx
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby itsdat » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:38 am

Marinx wrote:This is great Blue!!! I wish you all the best with the KS campaign.

Seconded! 8-) 8-) 8-)

BlueSalamander wrote:Work on the game was completed around 27 January. It wasn't an easy task, especially as my dad passed away in December at the age of 75. :cry:

I am sorry for your loss. :(
itsdat
Umber Hulk (CR 14)

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Thank you everyone for your support, I appreciate it!

feanor89 wrote:will it be possible to create new feats and enchantments with the Editor?
It would be nice to be able to create new feats in the editor, but feats can be very unique, making their creation difficult unless we limit ourselves to feats that give a numerical bonus to something.

Feats like Cleave or Whirlwind Attack could not be created in an editor. So at the moment there is no interface for creating new feats. I can always add new feats, though.

The same can be said for weapon enchantments. However, you can create new spells and tie them up to items or weapons.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby feanor89 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:20 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:Feats like Cleave or Whirlwind Attack could not be created in an editor. So at the moment there is no interface for creating new feats. I can always add new feats, though.

The same can be said for weapon enchantments. However, you can create new spells and tie them up to items or weapons.

Thank you for the clarification!
I wanted to create something like pathfinder unchained rogue's class feature finesse training or agile weapon enchantement, basically something that permits a rogue to add his or her DEX modifier to the damage roll. That's because I always considered 3.5 rogues (in compraison to pathfinder's ones) to be a little underpowered, especially given how many creatures are immune to sneak attacks in 3.5.
With this in mind, would it be feasable to create with the editor a spell that mirrors the agile weapon enchantment's effect and then tie it to a weapon? And if that's not possible, will you consider to add a new finesse training-like feat and/or class feature?

Sorry for the lenght of the post and thank you again!
feanor89
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby getter77 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:59 pm

That's quite a lot to consider---you've accomplished much. 8-) Unfortunate that it seems there'll be no standalone module demo for KotC 2 to showcase more directly and tangibly the evolution from the original to the next. I suppose everything will make more sense as the KS page becomes fully formed....

Don't forget about itch.io as well as Steam, pretty sure it has some tools for customer interaction as well.
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby itsdat » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:15 pm

getter77 wrote:That's quite a lot to consider---you've accomplished much. 8-) Unfortunate that it seems there'll be no standalone module demo for KotC 2 to showcase more directly and tangibly the evolution from the original to the next. I suppose everything will make more sense as the KS page becomes fully formed....

Don't forget about itch.io as well as Steam, pretty sure it has some tools for customer interaction as well.

Btw there is a Discord game store now as well.

https://discordapp.com/store

"Discord Store to offer developers 90 percent of game revenues - Move puts additional pressure on Steam's de facto 70% rev-share standard."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/12/discord-store-to-offers-developers-90-percent-of-game-revenues/
itsdat
Umber Hulk (CR 14)

Postby Tiavals » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Speaking of Discord, perhaps we should make a server for KOTC 1 and 2 there?
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Demiath » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Here's a simple unofficial teaser trailer. I'm sure Beethoven wouldn't mind...

Demiath
Marilith (CR 17)
Master of the Magic Lens
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Next

Return to Ideas for KotC 2