Sadistic

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Sadistic

Postby GM Mazra » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:10 pm

Is it just me, or is the game Sadistic. As a longtime GM/DM, and I mean LONG TIME, I have had very few TPKs. After playing this game for just a few days I have had my party completely killed off at least seven times.

I get that you can reload and try again, but sorry this is a bit Sadistic. And quite frankly, takes away from the awesomeness of this great computer game system. It may be one of the best I have played, but some of the Sadistic battles is sometimes a bit much.

YMMV

Be blessed,

Mazra
GM Mazra
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)
Knights of the Chalice

Sadistic

Advert

Re: Sadistic

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:16 am

Hello Mazra and welcome,

KotC is not intended to be sadistic but it can be challenging. You can reduce the difficulty by doing the following:

1) Play with characters who have high ability scores (you can set the number of maximum ability scores in the options)

2) Use the crafting feats to create additional magic scrolls, magic wands, magic weapons and wondrous items.

Cheers!
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby GM Mazra » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:13 am

Thank you BlueSalamander for your reply. It looks like I will need to learn your system. But that system is not like traditional table top role playing. Needing to be max stat levels, and crafting wands, scrolls, potions, etc., particularly early on is not typical to the 3.5 game system. (Not to mention crafting is typically performed during down time.) Your game system is perfect. It is extremely well done. But as a brief example, even leaving the castle the party faces a bunch of Orcs at first level. This was my first TPK. I survived with only one character unconscious in the second go around. Of course, I will not go into the marathon at the Orc Fort without an opportunity to rest. It was really fun raising level and not being able to use your new spells because you couldn't rest.

Have you considered a different tact? Maybe start with Goblins or Kobolds, then after a level or two Orcs or Lizardmen, then step it up gradually. This is how it with tabletop, but I am going to guess you know this. Again, well designed game. But it is not 3.5. I will start over with your suggestions. The game is definitely challenging.

Again, thanks for the response. It is truly appreciated.

Mazra
GM Mazra
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby rogaldorn » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:29 am

Well there are different "power levels" of campaigns, and kotc thus far seems to be pretty high. I wouldn't ever want to play a high powered tabletop game, and if I did I would want very high ability scores and to cheese every advantage I could find.
The only available campaign being very high power makes me excited for kotc2 though, as users can and hopefully will make bottom of the barrel power campaigns where I can roll a party of average joes and enjoy crawling my way up.
rogaldorn
Centaur (CR 3)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG