Great Game!

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Great Game!

Postby Kloodge » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:33 pm

I registered just to say what a great, fun game this was. I played the demo for about 30 minutes and ordered before finishing it.

I almost ragequit at the long part with no campfires, but eventually made it through that and the rest of the game was the right level of challenge. It was literally the most fun I've had with a game in years.

I'm a professional developer and published one shareware game in the '90s you've probably never heard of, so I know what it takes to make a polished, finished product. Very impressive job.
Kloodge
Kobold (CR 1/4)

Great Game!

Advert

Re: Great Game!

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:36 pm

Thank you very much Kloodge! Glad you liked it.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Doctor Sbaitso » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Funny, I found myself wishing a game with combat like TOEE would be released. I hated the game really but the combat was fantastic. Great job!
Doctor Sbaitso
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Optimus6128 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:20 pm

I just have a love/hate relationship with this game. It's so awesome it's almost cult for me. Because I have never experience before a game with so damn high amount of rage quits yet so addictive.

I mean, I was describing this game to some friends and how great it is but how much I want to punch my screen and my friend reply "How can a game that is so hard that makes you rage be a good game?".

Well, it is. I can't explain it. But it's for other reasons too, the hypertext menus that describe every skill, every rule, every character sheet, even the enemies and NPCs character sheets, full combat options besides attacking, it will take a long to learn everything and the best strategy for this game because I die, I die all the time. Even the AI is deviously genius in a way that makes some of the battles so annoying, especially when they combine those entagle, web, paralyze and other spells and you just can't move for few rounds and even if you break free, they will throw another web, or burn you with fireball which also burn the web, but then throw another web, ugh. I have also seen enemies grappling my players or pushing you to the fire behind, wow.

And I've noticed that the rest places is the fire, which really reminds me of dark souls which I have not played yet but I know it's considered hard. And makes me wonder, the creator of this game might have been inspired by dark souls, especially about how hard and challenging this game is. I really need to search for some good strategies to survive.
Optimus6128
Kobold (CR 1/4)
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Jack Dandy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:43 pm

"Checkpoints" were a thing for a long time before DaS, and KOTC came out 2 years before it as well. :mrgreen:
Jack Dandy
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby stevenjohnson » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:38 am

yes completely agree! I also like this game very much!
stevenjohnson
Kobold (CR 1/4)

Postby GM Mazra » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:00 pm

It is a great game. It is sadistic too. As a long time DM/GM, and I mean LONG TIME, I can count on one hand how many TPKs I have created. With this game I am past hands and well into toes. The difference, of course, is the do over. But the frequent TPKs is annoying and the biggest problem with the game. Part of the excitement of these types of games is the thrill of barely surviving, but still coming out victorious. When you are trying the same battle for the fourth time, it loses some of this. YMMV
GM Mazra
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby rpgguy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:58 am

I hope the 2nd game is just as challenging
rpgguy
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby galneon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:13 am

GM Mazra wrote:It is a great game. It is sadistic too. As a long time DM/GM, and I mean LONG TIME, I can count on one hand how many TPKs I have created. With this game I am past hands and well into toes. The difference, of course, is the do over. But the frequent TPKs is annoying and the biggest problem with the game. Part of the excitement of these types of games is the thrill of barely surviving, but still coming out victorious. When you are trying the same battle for the fourth time, it loses some of this. YMMV

I wouldn't play any RPG where my party didn't get wiped out, preferably often enough to force me to come up with new tactics. If a game is easy and can't be modded, I handicap. It's funny seeing a criticism like this for this particular genre, though--most of us are masochists.

Not sure how analogous real-life AD&D experiences are, though. The real games I've played (long ago) have involved permadeath, with the exception of one game where the DM pitied someone and set up a resurrection quest the rest of us could do for her.

As for that last optional battle... I admit I gave up. I concluded it wasn't possible with my F/F/M/C party without an absurd succession of lucky early rolls. My next playthrough someday will be F/M/M/C or F/M/C/C...
galneon
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG