In support to Pierre, AKA "BlueSalamander"

This is the place to provide bug reports and suggestions about KotC 2 Augury of Chaos.

Postby Clatoo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:01 pm

Hello all,

I am so sad to see so many people angry at KOTC 2 and its creator.
I would like our community to share some positive support to BlueSalamender.

If you're OK with that, just post a "+1" here, or share any support in any way you see fit.

To the others, I would like to pinpoint that you are playing a game that is intended for release on January 2021.
Please consider yourself lucky to have an "insight" of what it will be. I know I am. :D

Thank you all.

Thierry.
Clatoo
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Advert

Re: In support to Pierre, AKA "BlueSalamander"

Postby LordSith » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:36 pm

I'm always supportive of people but I can't remove the feeling that some of the criticism are valid.

I understood perfectly well that the creator did what he could, but I would totally understand anyone saying "thinking your game is stable without having test multiple settings is not a rationale way of thinking".

So all in all, yes I have faith, but yes I have doubts.
For now, I'll wait, because I was able to play as much as 1' before encountering my first bug... and I used 1h to create my party. It hurts to know that so many things are not working right (character creation bugged, no edit/copy character), etc.)

But i'm confident in that the creator will do its best because he seems to care about his project.
If he fails in a relatively correct timing frame (let's say 1 year), then I will know and be disappointed.

I really wanted to play the game this summer. Not be a betatester. (Not that I'm against the principle of open beta. It's just not for me.)

Playing KOTC steam version since march 2022.
LordSith
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)

Postby Corey315 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:45 pm

I admit, I was pretty disappointed when I got slayed by the crashmonster. After a few minutes of reflection, Pierre is just one guy trying to realize his vision without a huge team to back him up. Yes there are problems, but from the bits of the game I have seen, it looks really good and I am sure the bugs will be squashed in due time. Lets not act like spoiled children and start slamming the guy. Lets instead show some patience and see what comes in July. I respect what he has done and couldnt imagine doing it myself or worse, doing it and then having all the happy faces turn vengeful and acid. Cool your jets for a minute, go outside and get your feet wet or something and see whats up in a few weeks, or better yet, get in there and try to break the game, post your findings. If you are here , its probably because you Kickstarted , so keep the faith and try to help, not just howl.
Corey315
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby Clatoo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:51 pm

LordSith wrote:I really wanted to play the game this summer. Not be a betatester. (Not that I'm against the principle of open beta. It's just not for me.)

I understand your frustration, but :

As I said, the release is planned for January 2021, I read it when purchasing, and so did all the backers.

Why going to KickStarter in the first place ?
Were you misleaded in believing that this was an already finished product ?

This is not how KickStarter was setup to be.
It seems to me that people are now used to the abuse of the system :
- Not investing in projects they believe in.
- Puchasing an already completed project.

This is lying and abusing founders, and you bought into that ?

I think that BlueSalamander will think twice before putting up its next project on KickStarter.
I think that he will do so, stating a realistic date of release for version 1.0, with no reward for his founder beforehand.

Moreover, he is a single person on a single PC. KOTC 2 ran fine on his PC. How was he to suppose that it wouldn't be the case for everyone else ?

Finaly, I made this post to see support for the guy, not support, but...

Your post belongs to another thread, and my reply to the trashcan.

I sincerely hope that you will be happy playing it in the winter,
In the meantime, you can redo KOTC 1 Wich came free with your backing.

Thierry
Clatoo
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby LordSith » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi,
Were you misleaded in believing that this was an already finished product ?

Yes:
that page

Without that part, I wouldn't have participated for the DLC (which I didn't) and would have just skipped.
But i (naively) thought the money invested to the developer would improve the game (add feature) and create future DLCs I could buy if i wanted to.

That quote is false.
The game do not exist as a full game.
Some would say the game do not exist, only the game engine do exist. i'm not so harsh.

Like I said here and there. I let Pierre do his job. No problem with that. But i won't let said that "there is no place for complaint" because there is, and a lot of it.

Playing KOTC steam version since march 2022.
LordSith
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)

Postby Corey315 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:00 pm

It did exist as a full game for PC. This is evidenced by the several hours of youtube videos he posted. Like Thierry said, he is one guy on one PC and it worked for him. Taking this a step further , aside from Rimworld , can you name me any game that launched bug free and rolled on without a glitch? Hell, Bethesda cant even pull that off. I understand you are frustrated and perhaps a bit butthurt and thats "OK", I suppose. Temper your expectations to a more realistic approach and you can mitigate this disappointment. Pierre said he will fix it, so lets see what happens. I am sad too, but I saw enough of the game to see I will enjoy the playthru once its cleaned up and am willing to wait a couple weeks.

Look at the bright side here, you have no idea how often I back something on KS and NEVER see any type of finished product at all. It does give me time to run thru KoC 1 again, so Ill do that for now.

Happy Summer everyone!
C
Corey315
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby Shamino » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:55 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed KOTC 1, and I know Pierre will make KOTC 2 even better. I never expected to be able to play KOTC 2 right away. For one thing, there's the stretch goal content. That was obviously not going to be included in the first release, so I was kind of planning to wait until Christmas time to play KOTC 2. Also, I was expecting at least 6 months of updates to get initial bugs out. I'm a developer myself, and I know how much is involved in creating a project of this scope as a one man developer team. It takes time, and it is just not possible to test on all the various OS configurations out there, nor is it possible for one man to test the millions of possible character combinations and dialog options that exist in KOTC 2.
On Kickstarter, Pierre said it was a complete game, and it is complete. He played it through on Windows 10. He did not claim it was bug free, nor did I expect it to be this soon after initial release. I've been waiting for years for large companies to fix bugs in their games, so I am certainly willing to be patient with Pierre,who has to do all the work himself. I look forward to seeing the game grow and flourish,just as KOTC 1 did.

You will continue to have my support on this project, Pierre!
Thanks for your efforts.
Shamino
Manticore (CR 5)
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby claiminglight » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:34 pm

When I went to school as a video game design major I wrote a paper about AI in video games. In it, I made references in it to KOTC1 as the having the strongest AI in a tactics game that I was aware of-- and how crucial that is to keeping a sense of immersion and allowing players to anthropomorphize your enemies.

I've been watching for kotc2 for a long time. And yeah, my expectations, as set by the campaign's promises, were let down too. But I'm not angry-- bugs happen. I chalk this misphrasing up to the need for a community manager, more than anything else.
claiminglight
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Ragniz » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:06 pm

This release was a mess plain and simple, and I do find it hard to believe he had no issues on 2 different setups but I'm positive beneath all these crashes and almost impossible encounters there's a great game and I have faith in Pierre.
After all KOTC1 works flawlesly.
Ragniz
Lizardman (CR 1)

Postby rogaldorn » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:23 am

There is clearly an excellent foundation to build upon and I look forward to modules ported from P&P and other games as well as new modules from the community and Pierre.
I also hope that there is a fan rebalance of Augury of Chaos because it looks like it has a LOT of detail and nuance, but the present difficulty is just unplayable for me.
That said, I believe Pierre really should have worded his statement about the "full game" being available now and instead called this a backer's beta. Maybe refer to steam/GOG release as full release.
rogaldorn
Centaur (CR 3)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Next

Return to About the KotC 2 Augury of Chaos cRPG