First impressions thread

This is the place to provide bug reports and suggestions about KotC 2 Augury of Chaos.

First impressions thread

Postby Yankee » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi all.
11 years ago I enjoyed KotC 1 a lot, I completed the game twice and I've always been telling that it's the best implementation of D&D 3.5 combat system ever on PC.
Now KotC 2 is D&D 5e based and it's a whole new dimension of complexity and variety, great job Pierre & Co!

I'm also a big fan of Age Of Decadence, so my first KotC 2 impressions are essentially based on comparing it to AoD.

Just like in AoD, every victory is painstaking, it's a mix of well thought through preparation, smart use of available resources, and luck (=reloads).
The party combat and char leveling system aka D&D 5e is of course a lot more diverse than in AoD.
The multilinearity and text descriptions/dialogs richness is weaker than AoD, but there certainly is much replay value, you can also join different factions with conflicting interests.
The checks in dialogs are pleasant but fewer than in AoD, on the other hand that encourages maximum class/race/parameters diversity in the party.
The UI is very confusing at this point, but it's not hard to learn.
The crafting system is epic, well, D&D 5e it is, based on half century of tabletop games evolution.
Yankee
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

First impressions thread

Advert

Re: First impressions thread

Postby feanor89 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:58 am

KoTC2 is actually based on DnD 3.5 as well
feanor89
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby Yankee » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:55 am

wow, were all these races and classes and feats and spells already implemented in 3.5?
Yankee
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby feanor89 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Even more, I guess that present day 5E has more or less 20% of the published 3.5 material
feanor89
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby Yankee » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:19 pm

This game is great in every way, my only obstacle is puzzles, I don't like puzzles :p

Also, autosaving is a MUST HAVE for such a game, like in Age Of Decadence, after completing some hard encounters or entering locations.
Yankee
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:33 pm

Thank you so much for the praise Yankee!

Also, autosaving is a MUST HAVE for such a game, like in Age Of Decadence, after completing some hard encounters or entering locations.
OK, I will see if I can add some more auto-saves after hard encounters and/or when entering a location for the first time. Cheers :)
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Return to About the KotC 2 Augury of Chaos cRPG