Error when starting demo ("Could not read characters")

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby Cantello » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:36 am

I wanted to re-play KotC after a long time and downloaded the newest version (1.34). When trying to start the demo, it just shows the message "Could not read characters" and quits after clicking "Okay". Any ideas where this might come from and what to do with it?
Cantello
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Advert

Re: Error when starting demo ("Could not read characters")

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Hello Cantello, not sure what is causing the error, but here is what I would do:

1) delete the folder C:\Knights of the Chalice\SaveGame\DemoVersion
2) then download the demo's exe file again
3) then reinstall the demo
4) then launch the demo again.

Hopefully that will fix it, if not, please report back and let me know what Windows version you are using? Thank you!
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Oh, okay, I've found a problem there. Will fix it as soon as possible. It's when trying to play the demo from the full version (non Steam).
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:16 pm

Right, I've fixed it. Please download the full game again and there shouldn't be any issue when trying to play the demo by clicking ' Demo '. This issue does not affect users of the Steam full game or Steam demo, and it also does not affect the non-Steam demo file.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Cantello » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:17 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:Oh, okay, I've found a problem there. Will fix it as soon as possible. It's when trying to play the demo from the full version (non Steam).

Correct, that's what I tried. No longer really important as I just started a full new game without the tutorial/demo first.

edit: great, thanks! :-)
Cantello
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:20 pm

You're welcome. The issue can also be fixed simply by installing the demo from http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Download.htm, as the problem was due to some missing files from the demo. Thank you for your help in debugging!
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG