Monster Kills

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Monster Kills

Postby Dorateen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:52 pm

Something I would like to see added, if possible, is tracking the statistics for monster kills. Like in Wizardry, or even the Infinity Engine games. Those included "Most Powerful Vanquished" for each character as well.

I'm amazed how effective our party's dual-wielding high-dex kinght is at this point. He's up to getting 4 attacks per round with his rapier and hand axe, and proving quite deadly.

Harumph!
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Monster Kills

Advert

Re: Monster Kills

Postby Archangel » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:30 pm

Ha, dorateen is here :)

Welcome fellow NWN2 forums visitor (I got a different name there) ;)
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Dorateen » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks. NWN2 and especially SoZ got things moving back in the right direction, but KotC is really where it's at. I'm very optimistic about the comments I've read so far about a possible follow-up. If BS can expand the party to 6, add in more classes and races, it will be perfection.
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Archangel » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Uff, I think 6 is too much. Standard PnP party is 4 (5 tops). Balancing becomes a problem if you go beyond that number, not to mention all combats will need to have more or deadlier opponents. It would make combat too hard or last too long.
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Dorateen » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Sorry, I like the old Gold Box games and even the Infinity Engine. Gives us 2 fighter types, an archer and a utility man (rogue, thief, assassin, bard, etc.), as well as a healer and a nuclear option (mage). I'd be in micro-manage heaven!

Besides, we had 6 people in our pen and paper gaming group from the 1980's.
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Tiavals » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

I must agree with the 6 character party, simply because it adds variance.

If you have just 4, you'll almost always have 1 fighter, 1 cleric, 1 wizard and 1 utility guy(rogue).

With 6, you'll have 2 slots to use for whatever you want, so it'll be much nicer and the party will be much more personal to you. Perhaps you want another wizard and a fighter, perhaps a rogue and a cleric, and so on.

Then again, if KOTC2 adds the psionic classes, you'll have to make compromises anyway, which might make it more interesting in a 4 character party since you absolutely can't have one of each basic class.
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby screeg » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Tiavals wrote:If you have just 4, you'll almost always have 1 fighter, 1 cleric, 1 wizard and 1 utility guy(rogue).

We might not (I hope not) have a "utility guy". In order to have a rogue, BS would first have to add traps and locks. In other words, he would have to set up a bunch of non-combat-related inconveniences so that the player would be compelled to include a handyman/fighter to overcome said inconveniences. (I know there's some other functionality in there, but that's *mostly* what it boils down to)

Not that I object to bigger parties, but what's irritating about the rogue is that if the rules are changed as I said above, you have to have one along.
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:14 pm

screeg wrote:We might not (I hope not) have a "utility guy".
Not planning to have traps or an utility guy either. The infinity engine does traps and locks well, and it's still unfun IMO.

Tiavals wrote:I must agree with the 6 character party
I favour the 4-character party for easier balancing and for simplicity.

Dorateen wrote:tracking the statistics for monster kills.
Good idea.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Dorateen » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:04 pm

Tiavals wrote:I must agree with the 6 character party
I favour the 4-character party for easier balancing and for simplicity.

4 person party is still good. That type of set-up of course goes back to Dark Sun, Eye of the Beholder, PoRR2, and the 3DO Might & Magic era.

Definitely looking forward to more Knights of the Chalice!
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Return to Ideas for KotC 2