Isometric vs. Top-down view

This is the place to provide bug reports and suggestions about KotC 2 Augury of Chaos.

Postby Noomen » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:11 pm

Dear KotC2 nation,

I searched for this on the main website and in the forums but couldn't find an answer. So here I am with a new account asking my question here.

Is there anyway to change/toggle the view from isometric to top down?

The main reason I got this gem of a D&D game is a YT video I watched some time ago where the view was top-down, which reminded me of actual tabletop D&D sessions. Then when I started the game for the first time, I was unpleasantly surprised that in the latest version the view was isometric. Even if I turn on the square grid, the isometric view makes the delimitation of the tokens, the walls, the action squares etc, not very clear to me and even confusing.

Is there any chance, please, to toggle the top-down view back in the options, that doesn't involve downgrading to previous versions?

Thank you very much for your answer and for this master piece of a game.

Cheers,
Noomen
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)

Advert

Re: Isometric vs. Top-down view

Postby Dorateen » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:00 pm

The meat of the adventure Augury of Chaos, was designed with the top down view, which is what you saw on some of the older youtube videos. This version of the module was released to kickstarter backers in 2020. In later updates, Pierre added new content such as the starting village, which uses isometric maps... that is the content you first discovered when starting the game. Once you get past that and into the dungeon, it will be top down maps.

The perspective is not something that can be toggled, it is the type of map a designer uploads into the module for an area. So again, most of the game is top down. But the village location (which came afterward) was built using isometric maps.
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Noomen » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:58 am

Dorateen wrote:The meat of the adventure Augury of Chaos, was designed with the top down view, which is what you saw on some of the older youtube videos. This version of the module was released to kickstarter backers in 2020. In later updates, Pierre added new content such as the starting village, which uses isometric maps... that is the content you first discovered when starting the game. Once you get past that and into the dungeon, it will be top down maps.

The perspective is not something that can be toggled, it is the type of map a designer uploads into the module for an area. So again, most of the game is top down. But the village location (which came afterward) was built using isometric maps.

Thank you so very much for your kind reply.

I'm actually still in the tutorial module, and I'm having a blast. The only game I've seen where the tutorial could be a full game by itself. Loving it so far.

So ok, I understand, once I get into the meat of the AoC module it will be 2D. Thank you so much. I hope this post helps others in the future.

Cheers,
Noomen
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:04 pm

That would be an interesting option for sure. I've heard that same question before, but in the other direction: can I switch the top-down maps to isometric view.

Alas, unless I create two versions for each adventure map (and it's probably best not to do that), it won't be possible.

Thank you for joining the forums and for the glowing feedback, Noomen! I appreciate it.

Best regards :)
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Noomen » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:02 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:That would be an interesting option for sure. I've heard that same question before, but in the other direction: can I switch the top-down maps to isometric view.

Alas, unless I create two versions for each adventure map (and it's probably best not to do that), it won't be possible.

Thank you for joining the forums and for the glowing feedback, Noomen! I appreciate it.

Best regards :)

Thank YOU for such a masterpiece. :D
Noomen
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)

Return to About the KotC 2 Augury of Chaos cRPG