Using the Module Editor: Tips, Tricks, and Discoveries

This is the place to provide bug reports and suggestions about KotC 2 Augury of Chaos.

Postby Rasputin » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:09 am

Having finally finished the initial module, I decided to try my hand at using the editor to create my own module. Put my money where my mouth is, as it were.

Here are my thoughts as I have them. I am fully aware that I may have things wrong, so feel free to correct me if you find any inaccuracies.

The first thing that I came across was the first map screen that popped up. I kept waiting for the program to prompt me to insert a map for the background, but it didn't. I did some digging and finally figured out where I had to go to insert a .PNG file for the background.

A Google/Pinterest/Reddit search brought up a very nice map that did exactly what I was hoping for the background. But that brings me to my first real problem with the editor: it would be extremely useful if we could grab the background and move it around/resize it to fit the granularity of the KOTC grid. The map I chose is close, but not close enough. Sure, I could load the .PNG back into my graphic editor and play around with resizing it or padding it on one or two sides to make sure that it ends up where I would like it, square-wise. But it would go so much faster if I could do it right in the map editor. I am attaching a screenshot of the granularity problem for reference.

OK, back to work.
Attachments
KOTC Map issues.jpg
KOTC Map issues.jpg (239.62 KiB) Viewed 12156 times
Rasputin
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Advert

Re: Using the Module Editor: Tips, Tricks, and Discoveries

Postby Rasputin » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:38 pm

Upon reflection, it seems like my thread would be better served in the KotC 2 Forum for Adventure-Module Creation.

That being said, any chance someone out there knows offhand how you designate the landing zone for characters on a new map? I have spent about an hour working on it and I can't seem to figure it out just by selecting menu options at random.
Rasputin
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Darthcast » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:20 pm

Rasputin wrote:it would be extremely useful if we could grab the background and move it around/resize it to fit the granularity of the KOTC grid. The map I chose is close, but not close enough. Sure, I could load the .PNG back into my graphic editor and play around with resizing it or padding it on one or two sides to make sure that it ends up where I would like it, square-wise. But it would go so much faster if I could do it right in the map editor. I am attaching a screenshot of the granularity problem for reference.

Without having tried it yet, wouldn't fitting an existing image to the KOTC grid be fairly easy in a graphic editor, if you'd use a png of the KOTC grid on one layer and the map background image on another layer?
Darthcast
Umber Hulk (CR 14)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby Rasputin » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:23 pm

It's worth a shot. I use a very old version of Paint Shop Pro (7!) that fell off a truck at least 18 years ago and I haven't messed with layers yet.
Rasputin
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby SilentLion » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:10 pm

I can highly recommend using the free image editor Inkscape. I learned about it yesterday while looking for some free graphic assets and somebody recommended it for easily putting together images using those assets. It's super easy to use, before yesterday my image editing knowledge ended at MS Paint, but I could figure out Inkscape with some trial and error and a few google searches. :)

Exactly as Darthcast was saying, I created a grid of KOTC2's 64x64 pixel squares, transparent apart from the lines, and added that as a layer. Then I created another layer for the base background and another one for objects (trees, walls, etc). Using the grid I could align them so that they are not positioned awkwardly with regards to the grid. Before finally exporting into a .png image, the objects can also be easily repositioned via drag&drop. The grid layer can also be turned off or dimmed.

So what you could do is add the grid, add your map image in a separate layer below it and then move/resize it to match the grid. I'm afraid you would still have some problems as the squares in your map look to be of varying sizes, but it's worth a try.

If needed, I attached a png of a 17x22 KOTC2 grid, just stitch together several if you need a larger one.
Attachments
kotc2grid_17x22.png
17x22 KOTC2 Grid
kotc2grid_17x22.png (60.95 KiB) Viewed 12098 times
SilentLion
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby Rasputin » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:20 pm

Looks like that will be extremely helpful. Thank you!
Rasputin
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby entropysoda » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:01 am

is there a particular place folks are posting modules they have created?
entropysoda
Ettin (CR 6)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby SilentLion » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:05 pm

In all likelihood NexusMods will be the home for them (so far there's only one uploaded module, by felipepepe): https://www.nexusmods.com/knightsofthechalice2
SilentLion
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:36 pm

any chance someone out there knows offhand how you designate the landing zone for characters on a new map?
You don't specify landing zones, you only specify target positions in the script that moves your party to a new map. Cheers :)
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Rasputin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:41 pm

Ah, so you start your module with a script? You tell the player "blah blah" to get them started on the story and at the end of the script you stick them at a coordinate. Interesting.
Rasputin
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Next

Return to About the KotC 2 Augury of Chaos cRPG