Advice for Lizard King fight?

This is the place to provide bug reports and suggestions about KotC 2 Augury of Chaos.

Postby jward1983 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:40 pm

Does anyone have any tips I may be missing for the Lizard King ambush fight that is after you deal with the Green/Grey goblins?

I got stuck on this fight after the game came out and put KotC2 down for a few months. I recently returned and made a new party following the party creation guidelines in the guidebook, so I'm rocking a gladiator/fighter/bishop/psionicist/druid/red wizard, and Erzimon is recruited. Party is level 6/7. I once again flew through every fight leading up to this, and for whatever reason this particular fight just stops me in my tracks every time I try to play through the Augury module. I haven't had issues with any other fights really, so I have to assume there is something I'm just not understanding to get the upper hand here.

The 2 casters that spawn on the south side of the pool launch fireballs before I can get my characters out of the pool. If initiative plays to my favor, before they cast fireball I can drop a Silence on them, but then I'm just getting hit with other high-damage AoE spells from the north side by the Lizard King after he uses Globe of Invuln. Do I just need to try and get lucky and be able to drop Silence all over the place? Even so, am I supposed to just battle through the Globe of Invuln? Dispel rarely seems to work and even when it does, it's only getting rid of one buff at a time, where Globe of Invulnerability buffs the heck out of the Lizard King.

I am not an open D&D ruleset encyclopedia so I feel like there has to be some piece of this that I'm not understand that would allow me to shut these guys down more so they can't just wreck my entire party in 3-4 rounds.
jward1983
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Advert

Re: Advice for Lizard King fight?

Postby Noumenon » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:25 pm

Besides Silence, some of your other characters can help out by Ready vs Spell and damaging the casters as they try to cast.

The Globe only protects against spells, so just beat the king with clubs.

I had to skip this fight. I noticed that coming back with just a few levels under your belt makes a world of difference -- the same fireballs take less of your hitpoints, more of your characters save. It's not even a challenge if you wait too long. I did it at level 13 and that made it too easy. If you can do it at level 7, more power to you. I did one time have a bug where the lizards didn't take their surprise round, so maybe you could try reproducing that one :)

I tried and tried to get the green goblins' monsters in the hallway to save me from this fight, because I noticed them turning hostile. I could only get one character out of the pool to run away, and then when I finally got free, the lizardmen beat the monsters too. It was the first time I'd tried kiting in the game, the toughest encounter to that point. At least it's optional. Maybe on my second playthrough I will figure out how to beat it in order.
Noumenon
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby jward1983 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:02 pm

This is very helpful, especially the idea about Ready v. Spell - I always forget about that. As you mentioned it, I do recall trying to kite this fight as well back in July to get the green goblins to help and I ran into the same problems you described :D

I will re-approach the fight with some of these ideas in mind, thank you
jward1983
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:48 pm

I did one time have a bug where the lizards didn't take their surprise round, so maybe you could try reproducing that one
Mm, looks like I'll have to do some more tests here. Not sure also why the green goblins would be joining the battle. :D Cheers!
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Return to About the KotC 2 Augury of Chaos cRPG