Coded Messages

Feel free to discuss anything related to the creation of new KotC 2 adventures using the toolset.

Coded Messages

Postby Dorateen » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:13 pm

One of the puzzle type situations I enjoyed in Augury of Chaos was decoding the messages like the one from the Sharkman Druid. It would be great to feature these sort of documents in other Adventure Modules, and here are the steps provided by Pierre to set up a message. I found it simple to work with the Sharkman's letter and associated script as defaults.

1) import into your Item list one of the coded scrolls from Augury of Chaos

2) open the item, click on the Random Code button to randomise the code.

3) replace the item’s text with your text

4) click on the item’s New Script button to create the attached script

5) once in the script editor, you can import the script of one of the coded scrolls. It’s not very complicated, you just need a dialogue asking the player if he/she wants to decode the message now, and if yes there’s a script command that will display the decoding interface associated with your item. Once the player has finished decoding, there’s a variable that is set, which you can check after the script command that displays the decoding interface. If it’s decoded, remove the item from the party’s inventory. At that point, you may want to give the player another version of the item which is the same thing but without the ‘coded message’ item type.,

As mentioned above, I created two items for the journal I wanted decoded. One has the secret message, which is what the players find and have to use to bring up the interface. And then that item gets replaced by the fully decoded book once the message is solved. Here is a sample screenshot, which will be part of the new adventure I'm working on:

Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Coded Messages

Advert

Re: Coded Messages

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:36 pm

Awesome, thank you for the update and for posting the guidelines here Dorateen!

Best regards :)
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Re: Coded Messages

Postby Dorateen » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:36 pm

Thanks, it works pretty well, including with the optional hint. In this case, I would reveal the first two words of the message if the player chooses that option to help decipher the rest.
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Return to KotC 2 Forum for Adventure-Module Creation