Nexus page and new Cragmaw Castle module

Feel free to discuss anything related to the creation of new KotC 2 adventures using the toolset.

Postby felipepepe » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Hi guys, I'm having a blast with the KOTC2 editor, made a module and uploaded it to Nexus, so now there's a Nexus Mod for KOTC2: https://www.nexusmods.com/knightsofthechalice2

It's a good way for us to track all the released modules and keep them updated. :)

My module is there, is the Cragmaw Castle map taken from the Lost Mines of Phandelver D&D 5e module. It's for 1-4 characters, Lv 1-2. Has about 8 combat encounters and should take just 10-15 minutes to clear. It's a good challenge for a "normal" Lv 1 party, plays more like a traditional D&D adventure rather than a hardcore min-max challenge.

I made it mostly to test the editor and learn how to use it, will try to make some original stuff next. Hope you enjoy it, and that we have many new modules to play in the future!
felipepepe
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Advert

Re: Nexus page and new Cragmaw Castle module

Postby SilentLion » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:19 pm

Great job and thanks for kicking off Nexus!

I looked at your module in the editor but I still can't figure out how one sets up the triggers and it's driving me crazy :D. E.g. I see that you created the creature group "Feast" and the script "banquet" which ends with starting a fight with this group, but I cannot find on the map the trigger that launches the script when the player opens the door. I switch to "Other Tools"->"Edit Door and Script Trigger Data" then click on the door but in the popup window I don't see the "banquet" script. Could you tell me how to see and edit the triggers of the map please?
SilentLion
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby felipepepe » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:58 pm

The "banquet" script is being used by the unique goblin in that room - if you examine him and go to the "Intelligence" tab, you can set various scripts there.

Yegg, the unique goblin, is set to automatically talk to the party, which starts his dialog script. I used this instead of setting the door because there are two doors to his room. The other option would be adding the script to each door, with a variable that removes it from one door when the other is opened.

I did the same with the goblins in the altar room, the dwarf and the boss. The other scripts are tied to doors, or to the party moving into a certain area, like the one at the castle's entrance.
felipepepe
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby SilentLion » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:17 am

Goootcha, thanks a lot!

After this I got close to the point of asking you how to delete things (triggers on tiles, activable objects, etc) from the map when I figured it out (if anyone else wondering: you need to be in the add/edit mode of exactly the type of the thing you want to remove and then right click on the thing).
SilentLion
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby God » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:56 am

So, Felipepe, how long did it take you to create your short module while learning how to use the tools?

Asking for a friend, he only has 6 days to do his business.
God
Griffon (CR 4)

Postby felipepepe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:09 pm

Around 5-6 hours. Longest time sink was learning the scripts and working around some of the quirks the editor has, like not being able to open doors mid-combat, or how you can see and even attack diagonally across two "high obstacle" blocks.

That's why I suggest starting with a short, low-level tabletop map as basis (NOT Caves of Chaos), so you know exactly what you need to do, just need to find out how to implement it.

Also, if you press F1 in the editor you get the help documentation, which explains things like "scene scripts" and all the shortcuts.
felipepepe
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby God » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks for the hints, i might go for an arch project first but i'll definitely try my skills with the KotC 2 module editor.
God
Griffon (CR 4)

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:38 pm

Awesome, congratulations felipepepe! I'm glad you like the editor.

not being able to open doors mid-combat
Mm, I think you can do that with a script action. The player usually can't open or close doors during combat, but I guess that could be done with activable zones (if the door or gate is opened through a script tied to the activable zone, somewhat like the castle gate in Augury of Chaos). Cheers :)
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby floydedna » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:17 pm

Ahah, I tried to do as you said and it worked.
floydedna
Kobold (CR 1/4)

Postby Diane23E » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:42 pm

I did the same with the goblins in the altar room, the dwarf and the boss. The other scripts are tied to doors, or to the party moving into a certain area, like the one at the castle's entrance. one of the top power washing companies
Diane23E
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)

Return to KotC 2 Forum for Adventure-Module Creation