How do i paint ground properly?

Feel free to discuss anything related to the creation of new KotC 2 adventures using the toolset.

Postby toupzykin » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:45 am

Greetings i'm far from alien to modding games and the like, even made my own modules for neverwinter nights 2, in short, I purchased a copy of KOTC2 on Gog yesterday and already loving it, but the modder in me wants to mod this badly. When i painted jungle tiles on my map they looked...like pixel jungle even during playtest. How would i make real ground please thank you!?
toupzykin
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)

Advert

Re: How do i paint ground properly?

Postby Dorateen » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:19 pm

I think the editor is set up better for uploading pre-made maps. That is what I did, as well as Cragmaw Castle.

There should be a way to create maps right in the toolset like you said, but I have not experimented with that. Painting tiles like jungle, are just for placing the associated terrain effect on a square, such as movement penalties or damage.
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:39 pm

Hello toupzykin! Thank you for posting.

Basically, you need to create a backdrop image in a paint programme.

Make sure that the image is large enough. For example, if you want a dungeon map covering 20 x 20 squares, then the image size should be 1280 x 1280, as each square is 64 x 64 pixels. The format can be PNG or JPG.

Once you have the image, paste it into your module's MapBackdrops folder, and set it in the Module Editor's Map Data screen for use in the game.

There are many more tips in the Module Editor PDF guidebook contained within the Archmage Pack.

Thank you! Best regards 8-)
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:39 pm

P.S.

If you just want to create a forest map, you can use a simple backdrop image containing a grass texture.

You'll find a couple of those in the game's folder Graphics/MapBackgrounds:

Graphics/MapBackgrounds/Grass (seamless).png
Graphics/MapBackgrounds/Plains (seamless).png

After setting this image as your map backdrop, you can use the Extra Artwork menu of the Module Editor to place additional tree and plant graphics on the backdrop image (using activable zones).

Simply select 'Add Random Forest' under Extra Artwork then click on the map here and there. That will give you a nice forest map in no time at all. You can also add random flowers, bushes, etc.

Afterwards, you can place forest squares on the map using the Brush (B) function of the Module Editor, which you'll find under Square Tools.

Placing forest squares will allow the game to take into account the different terrain type when combat takes place on the map. Footstep sounds are also modified when moving through forest squares.

Cheers! Best regards :)
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Return to KotC 2 Forum for Adventure-Module Creation